Thread: 8 month old Chasing tail and barking after pooping?

8 month old Chasing tail and barking after pooping?

We have had our Papillon puppy for a couple months now and we have recently changed his food to Wellness Core Chicken Puppy Food about 2 weeks ago.
    We changed because he was having diarrhea on his prior food, which was Natures Variety Instinct Raw Boost. He is doing better on the Wellness Core,
    but his poop still isn't solid...is a little mushy, but not liquid. Like a 5 or 6 on a 1-10 scale.

My question is this...always after he poops, he comes back inside and a few minutes later he starts chasing his tail and putting his nose near his butt and
    barking. It's like his butt irritates him after he poops. Is 8 month's too soon for a puppy to have an issue with his anal glands? Could he still be acclimating
    to the new food? Anyone else seen behavior like this? Is it a puppy thing?

Other question is, should we try another food if he still doesn't have completely solid poops all the time or is it normal for Paps to have mushy soft poop?
    He also sometimes wakes us up in the middle of the night to poop, even though he went a few hours before. Then he will go for 6 hours without having to go and
    then he has to poop 3 times in a 4 hour period? Doesn't make sense.

Pupae

Re: 8 month old Chasing tail and barking after pooping?

Have you taken him to the vet? I think that is where you should start from.

Re: 8 month old Chasing tail and barking after pooping?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Have you taken him to the vet? I think that is where you should start from.
    Yes. Vet found nothing wrong. We had his anal glands expressed and that helped somewhat. He still does it from time to time but not as much now.
    Hopefully he will grow out of it.