Thread: Definitive book on Papillon blood lines

Definitive book on Papillon blood lines

Coming from Arabian horses and standard poodles... what would be a good book on past and current blood lines?

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Re: Definitive book on Papillon blood lines

Not too sure about books specifically on bloodlines. You could try this http://www.amazon.com/THE-COMPLETE-P.../dp/1860541909
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Thanks. I saw that one and a couple others on Amazon. When you read the reviews, they are always mixed; especially when breeders don't agree with other breeders. I chalk that up to professional jealousy. I don't need a book of dog care as much as I'd like something very specific to the breed. PJ was not the most well-bred Papillon in the world; he was acquired to be my daughter's dog. I was breeding Standard Poodles at the time with a partner. My daughter kept getting attached to dogs coming in and out of the house for breeding or whelping and she wanted a dog my partner wouldn't sell! My daughter was around 12-13 at the time; she did the research and decided on a Papillon. She went to college four years ago and PJ, by default, became my constant companion. (I stopped breeding poodles in 2005; my last litter.)

At the time, I didn't get too involved in Papillon breed standards and bloodlines - PJ came into our lives to solve the problem of transient dogs. We both fell completely in love with him and the breed. The little boy I'm getting is coming from a more reputable breeder; I'm putting out significantly more money for his purchase. I'm going to have the time to work with him; I recently retired from teaching. I'm working as an artist and real estate agent so I work from home most of the time. I'm looking into agility (which I started with the poodles) and maybe puppy classes.

I also worked with Arabian horses; at one time I could rattle off bloodlines, knew good combinations/crosses, and all of that. I have an Arabian gelding I rescued in 2009. I've been out of the current trends in breeding Arabians since it hasn't been my focus for a long time. There is no absence of reading material on Arabian breeding and bloodlines.

Those of you involved in breeding - do you breed for specifics? Like our poodles were bred for agility. Or do you breed for breed standards and understand that well-bred dogs will excel in sport also? All this said, I'm a fan of these little guys - whatever happens, happens. I'll love him regardless.

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

From what I have seen, in my area at least, the majority breed to the standard first and performance is secondary. There is at least one person in my area who breeds for performance first, although she started with show stock and also shows, she is primarily an agility competitor. I believe that the majority of show paps should also have the intelligence and physical drive to do performance as well. There are several out there with multiple titles on both ends. Here is a good site for pedigree research http://global.papillonpedigrees.org/search.html
    This site lists performance scores and titles http://www.dogshowscores.com/
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Quote Originally Posted by MojoPap View Post
    I believe that the majority of show paps should also have the intelligence and physical drive to do performance as well. There are several out there with multiple titles on both ends. [/url]
    I believe you're correct. I think with the Standards and other breeds that are bred for a particular sport there is only so much time in a day. If you are breeding a working/sport breed, you are going to want them to excel in a specific area so that training is where you will concentrate your time.

I'll look into the sites you posted. Thanks