Thread: behavior change, any suggestions?

Cool behavior change, any suggestions?

Hello everyone, been a while. Jinx has been a normal happy pup, she just turned 2 in December. Over the last maybe week or so, she has been acting so differently. We adopted a older male chihuahua about 6 months ago, and they have been getting along great. He has a mild food aggression so we feed them separately. Jinx has a favorite stuffed toy (horse) that she loves to play with, usually with a human and even has tried to get the other dog to play. In the last week she has become almost manic with it. She has to be on it, and usually licking It. She hides in her kennel all the time, growls if anyone (including me, and I am her human) and she isn't eating much. (And that worries me because she is only 3 lbs). I am so very worried, she isn't herself. Anyone have any suggestions? Taking away the horse didn't work, she just hid in her kennel. She isn't spayed (and the male dog is neutered) and she has had 2 heats. She may be about to start another . . . I am just at a loss and I miss my Jinxy.

Re: behavior change, any suggestions?

So last night we had the kids take Sarge (the other dog) and we had Jinx with us, with her horse. She was licking and wouldn't leave it alone, so I tried taking it away and she wined and scratched at me for over an hour, so I finally gave it back to her so I could sleep. In the morning she was snuggled up next me to like she used to, and the horse was at the end of the bed. She needed to be let out, so we got up and left the horse on the bed. This morning she has just about back to her usual self. She once and a while goes to my bedroom door and looks back at me asking for it, but we haven't let her have it. She ate her full breakfast, played with us and the other dog, and is back to snuggling with her humans. In fact right now she is sleeping on my chest inside my sweatshirt. So taking this object of her obsession away seemed to work, giving her lots of positive attention and praise when she is being her normal self.
    Last edited by IamJolyn; 02-28-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Re: behavior change, any suggestions?

Some females will go through a "false pregnancy" and treat a favorite toy as though it were their puppy. It varies as to how long the urge to mother the toy will last.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"