Thread: Tough small toys for pap

Tough small toys for pap

Hi guys, I'm new here! I have a little boy, he's about 7 months old now. (Well, "little" - he's probably about 12lbs now! He was the big boy of the litter.)

I've been having an issue with my pap and his toys, though. He seems to be able to shred right through the ones that are small enough for him and our little pomeranian to share.

It's not so bad that he's destroying them - better them than the carpet/furniture - but he then will eat whatever he rips off. Ears and stuffing? Down the hatch. Cloth or rope? He'll shred 'em and eat the strings. The nubby rubber ball was a favorite, but after a few months he's managed to start eating off the nubs. He rips the fuzz off of tennis balls.

So I've been trying to find something that is small/soft enough for both of them to still use (can't keep him away from my pom's toys) but is durable enough that he won't EAT it. Most durable toys are made for larger dogs, though, which is the wall I've come up against.

Anyone have suggestions?

Re: Tough small toys for pap

Have you tried some Kong toys?
    I find that they make very durable toys that come in smaller sizes and are widely available.
    The traditional rubber treat dispensing toy they have can come in small sizes and my Blossom hasn't destroyed it yet, and that is quite a feat. She will SHRED her toys and eat them, similar to your pap. Nylabone can make some pretty durable toys, but the most durable are hard to come by in smaller sizes.
    Once Blossom chewed a small hole, about 1-2 centimetres wide in this floppy sheep with plastic crinkly stuff inside and she turned it INSIDE OUT. She nearly died trying to eat it, but that toy went in the trash.

We do have the traditional toy cone, which you're right, he has utterly failed to destroy. I don't like giving it to them without a treat, though, because they get weirdly obsessive over it. I haven't tried any of the other Kong toys, though, since they tend to be pricier. I might check them out next time!

Hi,
    I have a "big" Papillon who is just over a year old. He is 17 pounds but not fat. We learned the hard way how tough he is on toys so I am very careful what I buy for him. I found a line of toys called "Bionic" that are really wonderful. He loves them and he has not damaged any of them. I also buy him other very hard tough toys. What I don't do is give him any soft, or semi soft toys at all, not even ones that claim to be super tough. It only takes him about 3 minutes to find a weak spot in any toy that is sewn together. He loves to chew but thankfully he chews his toys and not my house. A lot of his chew toys (other than bionic) last about 3 to 6 weeks and than I discard them because I am afraid he will ingest big pieces. He does tend to pick things up in the yard, leaves, mulch, sticks. Sometimes he wants to chew them but mostly he wants to play with them. We are still learning about Papillon's since he is a rescue and I've only had him since Nov 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonfury View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new here! I have a little boy, he's about 7 months old now. (Well, "little" - he's probably about 12lbs now! He was the big boy of the litter.)

I've been having an issue with my pap and his toys, though. He seems to be able to shred right through the ones that are small enough for him and our little pomeranian to share.

It's not so bad that he's destroying them - better them than the carpet/furniture - but he then will eat whatever he rips off. Ears and stuffing? Down the hatch. Cloth or rope? He'll shred 'em and eat the strings. The nubby rubber ball was a favorite, but after a few months he's managed to start eating off the nubs. He rips the fuzz off of tennis balls.

So I've been trying to find something that is small/soft enough for both of them to still use (can't keep him away from my pom's toys) but is durable enough that he won't EAT it. Most durable toys are made for larger dogs, though, which is the wall I've come up against.

Anyone have suggestions?