Hello everyone, I live in the U.K. and I have a 9month old male pap called Alfie. He was neutured a month ago.

He has developed a habit of barking when outside in the garden - which can be stopped by using a clicker to get his attention and then a treat when he comes inside, so whilst annoying I am able to get his attention. The real problem is on walks (or perhaps just when he is on a leash but wouldn't dare try without at the moment), he barks as soon as a dog and often person/stranger is in sight.

Depending on the size of the dog he will either have his tail between his legs with large dogs but then often gets ****y and barks once they have passed or if he doesn't find them a threat he will bark/growl/snap at them... I have tried letting the leash loose to give freedom and keeping short but not sure the best way to go on?? It's obviously extremely embarrassing as everyone knows Alfie is there and the dogs he is doing this to usually are very calm and not making a fuss...

Went to group dog training last week but the trainer didn't seem to recognise Alfie's scared (which I believe to be the issue), even going on to tell everyone "to keep their distance with this one" which automatically isolated us....

He was very timid and extremely scared when we first got him at 4mths old and suffers from separation anxiety so I'm concerned he will be like this forever - he doesn't respond to me/treats/clicker or anything on walks, its like he is in a trance...

I currently live with parents who have a female King Charles Cavalier which they rescued at 5years old, unfortunately she has issues similar to Alfie but 10 times worse and despite all their best efforts 2 years on and she has only improved slightly...

So because of this I have always taken him for walks alone without her in fear seeing her do that would make him do the same - but seems it has anyway...

Sorry for the lengthy post but wanted to add as much detail as possible to see if anyone has experienced similar problems and/or if anyone can help?

Thanks so much,
Emily