Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older puppies or dogs sold by breeders?

Smile Older puppies or dogs sold by breeders?

Hello,

I have been searching for a Papillon puppy and I am new to this absolutely wonderful breed. However, I encountered something rather curious while visiting local breeders.
    Rather than offering to place me on a waiting list for a future litter, nearly every one of them asked if I would be interested in an older dog or puppy.
    Those being offered were usually between 2 and 3 years old, some having just one and others as many as three. Could anyone tell me why most breeders have older dogs rather than
    puppies for sale?

Thank You!
    Last edited by delicatewings; 02-27-2014 at 11:36 AM.

Pupae

Re: Older puppies or dogs sold by breeders?

Quote Originally Posted by delicatewings View Post
    Could anyone tell me why most breeders have older dogs rather than puppies for sale?
    There's 3 really good reasons why breeders have older dogs for sale:

#1) Someone bought a puppy and then returned it later on down to the breeder for any number of reasons.
    All responsible breeders should have a take back or buy back policy which insists that you contact them at any time for any reason you're unable to care for the dog.

#2) Breeders will usually retain certain puppies for their breeding programs but it turns out later on down the road that the puppy they though would work out didn't work out.
    Not all puppies are good candidates for breeding. Unfortunately, these young adults just didn't develop quite up to their standard —or may be up to standard technically— but didn't have the specific trait or traits that breeder was looking for. Sometimes a show prospect doesn't work out or their health testing comes up with a problem so they shouldn't be bred.

#3) The dog has reached the end of its show potential and is being retired.
    They sell these "retired" dogs on a spay/neuter contract to a family who'll be able to spend a lot more time on them then if they were to just lay around with the breeder. This also makes room for the breeder to bring in better show prospects.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with an older dog and older dogs have just as much love to give as a puppy would have to give you.

Older dogs from breeders or older dogs in rescue shouldn't be overlooked simply because they're older. I know everyone wants a puppy because puppies are cute and they get to raise it from puppyhood on up, but after one has been there and done that once or twice they may find it to their advantage to start looking at an older dog.

Thank you very much, this is all very helpful information. I agree there are a great many beautiful older dogs as well as wonderful puppies out there!

I got my wonderful boy at 8 months because of #2. He grew just a little too much, not quite enough to be a disqualification, but enough that they felt it best not to breed him.

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

This is an old thread, but suits the topic.
    Mojo's breeder passed away nearly 3 months ago. Her current show/breeding partner took in her remaining dogs in addition to those he already had. He is currently a bit overwhelmed as a result and would like to re home a few where they can get more attention than he can currently give them. They will remain with him until the right forever homes can be found.
    1. Troy - 1 1/2 year old male hound tri Phalene. Troy is "special" needs. He has pressure on his cerebellum, possibly due to oxygen deprivation when he was born as he was difficult to get out. This has resulted in his having a tendency to lean/tilt to the side. It looks odd, but he is a real sweetie. He will sometimes prance in place like horse does. He also likes to play with balls.
    This is a photo of Troy taken at a play date in May, he was about 7 months then.

2.& 3. Banff & Cubby Male classic tri color Papillons. Retired Champions. Father & Son. Would like for them to go together if possible. One is 11, the other is 9.

I have a couple of pictures taken during a visit at their breeder's home in 2009.

I'm pretty sure that this is Banff

I think that the one in the front is Cubby. I know the one in the middle is Mojo's mother, and I believe that is Banff again in the back.

If you are truly interested in one or more of these boys I will message you their current care takers info.
    They are located in northern NJ. You must be willing to meet the current owner in person so he can see how you and the dogs interact and make sure that it is a good fit for all.

All 3 would be best with an older person/couple who has a lot of time to spend with them. No young children please for any of these 3 for differing reasons. Thank you.
    Last edited by MojoPap; 06-15-2015 at 11:49 AM.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Updated photos of Banff - 11 years old

]
    Last edited by MojoPap; 06-15-2015 at 11:50 AM.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Updated photos of Cubby - 9 years old

Last edited by MojoPap; 06-15-2015 at 11:50 AM.
    Nancy

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Updated photos of Troy - 1 year

Last edited by MojoPap; 06-15-2015 at 11:51 AM.
    Nancy

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Troy, Banff and Cubby are still available.
    Nancy

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

These three boys are still available! Banff and Cubby must be rehomed together!
    Nancy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast