Thread: Health questions when looking for a new Puppy

Red face Health questions when looking for a new Puppy

Hello,

I have recently been looking for a Papillon puppy from various local AKC breeders and wanted to inquire about some possible health related concerns.
    One breeder informed me that they had some older dogs that, while beautiful confirmation wise, were not eligible to be shown because of their health issues.
    One had patellar luxation and another may have had a type of eye problem? I'm not sure if it was a physical or genetic problem. I was wondering if these were more
    of breed specific possibilities, that while rare, crop up from time to time in litters, or whether it indicated a genetic line or breeding stock best avoided altogether?

Thank You!

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Re: Health questions when looking for a new Puppy

Knees, eyes and teeth are your biggest health concerns with Paps. Most of it is a genetic issue. Certain blodlines may be more prone to bad kness, patellar luxation to various degrees, or PRA for the eyes. PRA stands for Progressive Retinal Atrophy. Most toy breeds are prone to early tooth loss. Dental care is important.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Thank You very much for your insightful reply.

So, perhaps, the best course of action would be to inquire of the breeders, if it would be possible to have a period of time for the puppy to be inspected by a veterinarian, such as the new cheek swab marker test for PRA, and testing for patellar luxation etc. ?

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Most breeders will have a contract that includes a certain period of time for you to have your new puppy/dog checked by your veterinarian.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Thank You again!