Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Food ?

Changing Food ?

I was wondering if anyone has changed the food they feed their beautiful babies? I would think that they would get bored eating the same thing day after day. Sully has recently started bulking at eating his food, which makes me think he's getting bored with it, so I was thinking......why not change it. We don't eat the same thing all the time.

Re: Changing Food ?

I just found a web site that explains it all. I think I'm going to try it. Not sure which brand yet. Sully's on Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul right now. I'm going to use one from the list that's posted on this site by Zoeypuppy.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-o...nge-foods.html

I've changed Max's food a few times, mostly for health reasons. Because of his recent bout with bladder stones, he's now on a vet prescribed diet.
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for s****s. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ~Roger Caras

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz

And what foods have you tried? What is he on now?

The article states that it doesn't hurt to change even with every new bag. I don't think I'd do it that often, but he's really getting bored with what he has now so, I think I'm going to give it a try.

Personally, I don't agree with changing food frequently. It can be very upsetting to their system and they can develop diarrhea and/or vomiting.

If you do change food, the correct way to do it is to spread it out over a week. Two days a mix of 3/4 old food with 1/4 new. Then 2 days of 50/50. Finally 2 days of 3/4 new with 1/4 old. On the 7th day it's all new food.

The first time I had to change Max's food he was about 2 years old and diagnosed with a mild case of colitis. He was put on vet prescribed Eukanuba Low Residue. He did well on it, but it was recalled in 2010. We were switched to the Science Diet equivalent. I did some research and found the over-the-counter Science Diet Sensitive Stomach was almost identical to the vet version and was close to half the price, so I switched to that. Max seemed to gain quite a bit of with while on the Science Diet, so I started looking for something else. I finally decided to go raw and was feeding Max Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Chicken Bites. Then in September he had his bladder stone issue and is now, once again, on a vet prescribed diet...Royal Canin Urinary SO. He's on a mix of canned morsels in gravy and the dry.

If you want to look for a good food for Sully, I recommend using Dog Food Advisor
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for s****s. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ~Roger Caras

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz

Puzzle has been eating Acana dog food his entire life (all 10 months). We can switch between the different flavors without any problems. He really loves the Pacifica which is fish and Ranchlands which is beef, lamb and buffalo. I think there are one or two more flavors.

I'm about to begin switching Sophie to FROMM & there are many flavors to switch, so she won't get bored of the same flavor.

Well, after looking over the options, and spending about 45 minutes in the pet store looking at the different organic brands, I ended up buying, Made in the USA, Precise Holistic Complete. And I did wean him into it. He has done good with it. His appetite has been down a bit since his surgery, but he took the change well. I'm going to look into the brands mentioned here too, some may be even better. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

When we first brought our eldest pap home at 4 mo. old, we noticed that even though she loved the food she was eating that she was constantly rubbing at her face with her paws. I did some searching and found out it could be allergies. I switched her to another food...face rubbing continued. It wasn't until I switched her to a grain-free food that she stopped almost immediately. She liked the grain-free 'okay'...she ate it but wasn't eager about it like you see a lot of dogs just digging in as soon as you put the bowl down for them. We tried switching to another flavor of the same brand and she wouldn't touch it at all. I then looked up some stuff online and found Sojo's...an all natural, human grade dehydrated food. I bought it to try it out..it makes quite a bit in those small bags since it's dehydrated it takes up less space. At first she wolfed that stuff down like there was no tomorrow...same with our other pap. They couldn't get enough of it! It smelled SOOOO good too!!! However, our eldest pap...after about two weeks of it, she wouldn't touch it anymore. Our other pap just ate both helpings..she adored the stuff. But we wanted something that they would both eat, so we could get their food in one place. I again went to the store and got another grain-free brand..4 Health Beef & Potato blend. It's not real pricey, but it's the first and only dry dog food that they both adore...they dig right into it, and they have eaten it for months now and still haven't gotten bored with it. They love the stuff. I was just happy to find something that I could get nearby, that doesn't affect their allergies and they like to eat it. It was a win for us!

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    When we first brought our eldest pap home at 4 mo. old, we noticed that even though she loved the food she was eating that she was constantly rubbing at her face with her paws. I did some searching and found out it could be allergies. I switched her to another food...face rubbing continued. It wasn't until I switched her to a grain-free food that she stopped almost immediately. She liked the grain-free 'okay'...she ate it but wasn't eager about it like you see a lot of dogs just digging in as soon as you put the bowl down for them. We tried switching to another flavor of the same brand and she wouldn't touch it at all. I then looked up some stuff online and found Sojo's...an all natural, human grade dehydrated food. I bought it to try it out..it makes quite a bit in those small bags since it's dehydrated it takes up less space. At first she wolfed that stuff down like there was no tomorrow...same with our other pap. They couldn't get enough of it! It smelled SOOOO good too!!! However, our eldest pap...after about two weeks of it, she wouldn't touch it anymore. Our other pap just ate both helpings..she adored the stuff. But we wanted something that they would both eat, so we could get their food in one place. I again went to the store and got another grain-free brand..4 Health Beef & Potato blend. It's not real pricey, but it's the first and only dry dog food that they both adore...they dig right into it, and they have eaten it for months now and still haven't gotten bored with it. They love the stuff. I was just happy to find something that I could get nearby, that doesn't affect their allergies and they like to eat it. It was a win for us!

OMG That is so weird, Sully does the same thing.....rubs his face with his paws! I'm glad you were able to find a food that helped with the problem. I guess I'd better start looking into the foods you've mentioned. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast