Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Sully has Luxating Patella's

  1. #1
    Senior Member Sully'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    115

    Sully has Luxating Patella's

    After all these years of having small dogs and never having any health issues......we now have a big one. Sully has been diagnosed with Luxating Patella's, both knees, which is requiring surgery. We fully trust the vet on this so we are going through with it. When they pop he is in a lot of pain and favors the leg, until I guess, It pops back in. Upon the vets examination though, and despite him being very active, he is in obvious pain. We also have to put him on Glucosamine/Chondroitin, of which I've already ordered and it's on it's way. She also said he'll end up with arthritis in both knees.

    We are both so upset. He's such a active, loving pup, our hearts are broke over this.

  2. #2
    Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons
    MojoPap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    779

    Re: Sully has Luxating Patella's

    It is, unfortunately, common with toy breeds to have bad patellas to differing degrees. The hardest part is trying to get them to stay quite and not run and jump around after surgery. Thankfully, I had Mojo tested for OFA, and his don't move at all. No luxation.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sully'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    115

    Re: Sully has Luxating Patella's

    Quote Originally Posted by MojoPap View Post
    It is, unfortunately, common with toy breeds to have bad patellas to differing degrees. The hardest part is trying to get them to stay quite and not run and jump around after surgery. Thankfully, I had Mojo tested for OFA, and his don't move at all. No luxation.
    That's good news for Mojo.
    It no going to be fun, as you said, trying to contain his energy after surgery. He has to be good for 8 weeks!

  4. #4
    Pupae IamJolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    23

    Re: Sully has Luxating Patella's

    My heart goes out to you and your pup! I also just found out my Jinx has the same thing, in both legs.

  5. #5

    Re: Sully has Luxating Patella's

    This is so heart breaking to hear, sending prayers for both Jinx and Sully. You both are surely brave paps, wishing a smooth op and fast recovery.
    Last edited by Herosnose; 11-11-2013 at 02:36 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sully'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    115

    Re: Sully has Luxating Patella's

    Quote Originally Posted by IamJolyn View Post
    My heart goes out to you and your pup! I also just found out my Jinx has the same thing, in both legs.
    Thank you. I'm so sorry to hear that you're going though this too. How old is Jinx? Have you decided what you're going to do?
    Last edited by Sully'sMom; 11-11-2013 at 03:16 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Sully'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    115

    Re: Sully has Luxating Patella's

    Quote Originally Posted by Herosnose View Post
    This is so heart breaking to hear, sending prayers for both Jinx and Sully. You both are surely brave paps, wishing a smooth op and fast recovery.
    Thank you Herosnose. Sully's a good healthy pup and with our help, I'm sure he'll get though this. Not sure about me...........

  8. #8
    Pupae IamJolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    23

    Re: Sully has Luxating Patella's

    Quote Originally Posted by Sully'sMom View Post
    Thank you. I'm so sorry to hear that you're going though this too. How old is Jinx? Have you decided what you're going to do?
    As of right now we are planning to go ahead with it, but it won't be until at least December, but most likely a little later in 2014. I am just trying to weigh the risks of the surgery. She is a very agile little dog, even on 3 legs as she rips around the house or yard, but she is also young, and when she gets older I am sure it will cause her more pain if I don't do the surgery (and maybe if I do).

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sophie'sMom929's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    153

    Re: Sully has Luxating Patella's

    About a month ago, when I took Sophie to banfield vet at petsmart (bc my vet is closed on Sundays) bc she was sick they told me Sophie has luxating patellas in both knees, they didn't tell me what stage it was, (they didn't even remember to tell me, I had to ask the vet nurse to go ask the vet).

    When I take her to her regular vet, I'll be asking them..
    Goodluck to Sully & Jinx!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Sully'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    115

    Re: Sully has Luxating Patella's

    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie'sMom929 View Post
    About a month ago, when I took Sophie to banfield vet at petsmart (bc my vet is closed on Sundays) bc she was sick they told me Sophie has luxating patellas in both knees, they didn't tell me what stage it was, (they didn't even remember to tell me, I had to ask the vet nurse to go ask the vet).

    When I take her to her regular vet, I'll be asking them..
    Goodluck to Sully & Jinx!
    Thank you! As long as I can get through it he'll be ok I'm sure.

    Yeah, have your own vet check her. I hope she doesn't have it. Keep us posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •