Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight???

Weight???

Sully was neutered yesterday and he weighed 7.2#. He's 6 1/2 months old. Is this the norm for weight? I'm hoping he doesn't get much bigger. Does neutering cause them to gain weight? I don't remember that being an issue for my doxie.

IMG_2138.jpg

Re: Weight???

That sounds fine to me. Neutering shouldn't directly cause any weight gain. If activity levels change, or as the metabolism changes since he's getting closer to maturing, that could lead to weight gain. But it won't if you catch it and reduce food when or if it is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Risking Disaster View Post
    That sounds fine to me. Neutering shouldn't directly cause any weight gain. If activity levels change, or as the metabolism changes since he's getting closer to maturing, that could lead to weight gain. But it won't if you catch it and reduce food when or if it is needed.
    Thanks Risking. He's been doing just fine. It didn't slow him down a bit and I haven't had to change his diet yet either. I'll keep a good eye on him though. I have a fat cat, don't want a fat dog. LOL

Early neutering will cause the dog to grow taller, which will cause it to have a frame that will support more weight when it fills out in year 2. There are also some health risks to spaying/neutering early.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...neutering.aspx

If a big pap does not fit your needs, I know someone who is an airline pilot that would love a giant papillon named Sully.

Do you really know Sully? That would be pretty neat!

Quote Originally Posted by Avec Bravissimo View Post
    Do you really know Sully? That would be pretty neat!
    I have seen him in passing but we have never met. The pilot I was referring to that would love a giant papillon is me.

Oh, LOL!!! Silly me!!

Pupae

What age do you suggest neutering your male Papillon? Until I started reading About it I did not realize there could be issues with early neutering. Jack is now 4 months old

Did you have a contract with your breeder ( )? If it's not in your contract that you must neuter by X date, then you have some flexibility.

There is a lot of new, clinical information about the benefits of neutering a little later than the 6-12 month range. I'll see if I can locate some well written articles about it this weekend.

If you choose not to neuter, you will have the added responsibility of making sure he is never, ever bred. It's not hard to do - but it's monumentally important :-)

None of my dogs (other than my Pap rescue from a puppy mill) have ever been spayed/neutered (I have shown - or had shown for me - all of my dogs), and I have never had any accidental breedings. Never.

Pupae

Thanks ! I would appreciate that. I didn't think I had a specific time but just checked and I do! By or before 6 months, but I am sure if I had a valid reason for putting it off for a while she would probably agree with a different time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast