Thread: ****** diarrhea & vomiting

****** diarrhea & vomiting

I apologize in advance for those who are on more than one of the dog forums I have posted this to. I'm just really worried and my dog has never been sick like this before. Hoping to get some advice/ideas...

Last night my dog started vomiting and wouldn't stop. It wasn't continuous by any means but about every 20 minutes or so, even after she had gotten rid of her dinner and was just bringing up what looked like copious amounts of saliva. Then I noticed that she had started taking short and fast breaths and also appeared to be shivering. I took her to the animal hospital nearby, and as I was filling out the paperwork she suddenly had a bad bout of ****** diarrhea all over the waiting room floor. I was so scared, but the girl there reassured me that it probably wasn't as bad as it looked. The vet gave her a physical exam and ran some blood tests (a CBC/Chem Profile w/Lytes for those who know what all that means). He said her vitals were good, she was hypersalivating and her stomach was tensed up and tender but no evidence of a foreign object or anything. She was very quiet and just laid there most of the time, not her usual self at all. Blood tests were basically normal - vet said her red blood cells were just slightly low (MCHC 31.7, ref. range 32-37.9), and something else I don't know was slightly high (CI 123 mmol/L. ref. range 109-122). He said she must have eaten something that caused an inflammatory reaction in her gastrointestinal tract, possibly a bug or something that caused an allergic reaction. He gave her some shots (penicillin, Getocin, Cerenia and Famotidine) and sent me home with Amoxicillin and Metronidazole tablets to give her every 12 hours, starting today at noon, with a bit of food. She stopped vomiting and no more diarrhea after leaving the hospital. She slept all night beside me - poor thing, I kept feeling her every few minutes to make sure she was still breathing. This morning she drank some water but refused food (though ate the turkey I used to hide her antibiotics). She has slept pretty much all day, and seems tired and listless and maybe weak, though she did go outside a couple of times when I coaxed her. Definitely not her usual self, but much better than last night.

Has anybody else here had something like this happen to their dog? Or can anybody who knows more about doggie medicine help me to understand what happened? When I saw the ****** diarrhea I thought she must be dying, but the vet explained that this is not too uncommon in dogs and isn't as serious as it would be in a human (though certainly not good in dogs either). I'm worried about going to work tomorrow - should I leave her alone? And I still have no idea what she ate that made her so sick - what if she eats it again while I'm gone? I looked around our fenced back yard this morning but all I found was a chewed up cherry tomato (ripe) as I have a vegetable garden in a fenced off corner of the backyard and the tomatoes are growing through the fence. They have been there all summer but maybe she ate some leaves yesterday? Another thing the veterinary assistant noticed when doing the rectal thermometer check was that she had a dead ant stuck in her fur near her tail. I have noticed little ants out in the backyard though there is not a huge nest or anything. They do have some little holes in the ground in my garden though - not sure why they like my garden so much. The only other thing that I can possibly think of is there is a huge toad in my garden (which is fenced off so the dogs can't get in) and the dogs were barking at it through the fence and trying to get at it last night before dark. As far as I know they didn't get hold of it, and I don't know how they could since it is behind the chainlink fence, which is still intact. That toad has been there a long time and they always bark when they see it through the fence so that's not a new thing either...

Has anybody here ever had anything like this happen? Any guesses as to what she might have eaten?

BTW, she is up to date on shots and also on Hart Guard monthly heartworm preventative. My son's Jack Russell mix and a friend's rat terrier also live in the house with us, share the same food and water and back yard, and they are fine...

Re: ****** diarrhea & vomiting

While I haven't experienced your exact situation, my Max has a mild case of colitis and has had ****** diarrhea, and while very scary your vet is correct, it's not as bad as in humans.

Are you 100% your dog didn't get his mouth on the toad through the fence? I have a friend whose dog got a hold,of a toad and had a very similiar reaction. Base and what you've said, that would be my guess.

I would wait to see how she is tomorrow before deciding on work. She's been through an ordeal and needs time to recover. See how she's doing in the morning and if you'd be comfortable leaving her alone based on how she is. Max got dehydrated once and it was probably around day 3 after our trip to the vet that he started acting like himself. And I'm sure her appetite will get better each day too.

Good luck & please stop back to update us on her condition.
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for s****s. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ~Roger Caras

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz

Thank you so much for the response, Chattles. It is encouraging to learn that this is not as frightening as it looks and that it more common in dogs than I realized. She seems to be feeling better this evening and I coaxed her into eating a few bites of food by dribbling some pan drippings from our baked chicken dinner over the top of her food. She's moving around and even barking a bit out the window at other dogs walking by, though with a lot less fervor than normal. I already texted my supervisor and she is ok with me working from home tomorrow, so that will be best I think.

Seems like I need to get hold of that toad in my garden and relocate it somewhere far away. I had no idea they could be so hazardous to dogs!

It sounds like you and your vet are doing the best you can to get her well again. If you're unsure how stable she is now, that's good that you're taking the day off.

My first dog had ****** diarrhea without vomiting when he was a puppy. The vet gave him some meds and it was all fine. This was a dog that had some food allergies and was very sensitive to food changes (and we were switching to a better food at the time). As an adult my dog also had a toad in his mouth at one point, but he spit it out pretty fast when he tasted how bad it was! He had no ill effects from the toad.

In your case though, I think you know this already but tomato plants are in the nightshade family and are toxic. If she had eaten a green tomato along with that ripe one, or some of the plant it could have made her very ill. It's also possible she could have eaten something you didn't see... like something that was discarded in your yard or just lying around the house (like a garbage bin?), or another plant.

I don't know what kind of toads or ants live in your area. Also don't know what kind of dog you have. If she is a papillon, her smaller body weight could be a factor in how badly she reacted to whatever she contacted. Takes less to poison them.

Hope she feels better soon!

Thanks, AgilityNut, for the response. She is doing better this morning and appears to be on the mend. I spoke with my vet this morning and he said it appears from what the hospital faxed over and what I told him that she had some kind of hypersensitivity reaction, something triggered a reaction but instead of an anaphylactic shock it attacked her gut. Still unnerving since I don't know what she ate.. but he did say we don't have the poisonous toads that they have in Florida that can kill a dog within 30 minutes (yikes!) We do have fire ants, and those things are nasty - maybe she ate one of those? Or, as you say, it could have been the tomatoes.

Sammie is a papillon mix, but she's 24 lb. so there must be a bigger dog in the mix, maybe border collie or some larger type of spaniel. I've done lots of guessing but she remains a mystery

So happy to hear she is doing better!!!!!
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for s****s. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ~Roger Caras

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz