Thread: Hot spots

Hot spots

Does anyone else have trouble with hotspots on their pap? My guy first started getting them last summer. He even got one last October. He formed one yesterday and I just don't know what to do. I have cleansed the area, trimmed the fur, and sprayed Gentocin spray on it. It is starting to dry up. I am at a loss on how to prevent them from reoccurring. I treat him monthly with canine advantix II. I bathe him regularly with quality shampoo, Brush him at least every other day, and I buy quality dog food. I recently changed his food to Blue Buffalo Wilderness, which he had a terrible reaction to. So, I have been giving him boiled chicken and rice, while slowly working in Fromm's Grain-Free Surf & Turf. Is it possible that the reaction to the food could have caused a skin irritation. I was also thinking that maybe the Advantix is not lasting the 30 days it's supposed to. My dog is extremely sensitive to flea bites.. I am just at a total loss.. I have taken him to the vet multiple times for this and I don't want to keep putting him on antibiotics. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you

Re: Hot spots

I took Pluto to the vet today and they cleaned the spot and prescribed steroids and a pain reliever. The vet told me to alternate every 12 hours between neosporin and the topical steroid/antibiotic spray. I have never seen him have pain like this. The vet told me that some fleas are becoming resistant to frontline and advantix. I purchased a new preventative called Activyl. Pluto has an extreme allergic reaction to flea bites, surely other dogs do too. I just want someone to talk to who has had similar experiences with their dog. Pluto is so sweet and he means the world to me, I never want to see him suffer like this again. I honestly feel so alone in this. No one I know has had any problems like this with their dogs.

We had a pap mix that we got when he was 12. He also got hot spots bad. A couple of things that we did aside from the vets steroids when it got bad was to change his food completely. We put ED on Acana Ranchlands which is a food with no chicken or rice. Some dogs develop allergies to common dog food ingredients as they grow older. We also switched him to comfortus (sp) which is a pill for flea treatment. It does not repel ticks. It helped a lot. ED was a lemon/white and it even cleared up the staining under his eyes. He still sometimes would get itchy in the summer, but overall he did well for the last six years we had him.

We also feed our puppy Acana and he is doing great. He was on a high quality chicken based food and had icky eyes. Now his eyes are icky free.

I would look for dog food with uncommon ingredients like deer, bison, duck or other things that are not common.
    Last edited by Paula; 06-20-2013 at 05:03 PM.

The topical flea meds don't seem to last the full month on my flea-allergic Pap, either. I started using the pill, Comfortis, and that does seem to last the full time, sometimes even a little longer than a month, for us.

My little guy also has environmental allergies. Generally, I find that I need to bathe him every week to two weeks to keep his itching down to a level that doesn't cause problems. I use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner normally, but use Zymox when he has a hot spot or irritation (twice a week if he has an actual hot spot). It clears them up pretty quickly, thankfully. He is very pathetic when he has one. Fleas are the main thing that will give him one, but also if he gets to chewing at a spot from his other allergies.