Thread: How does your papillon greet people/dogs?

How does your papillon greet people/dogs?

I know that, typically, papillons are incredibly friendly and exuberant dogs... however, I know of a couple more timid papillons on another forum. That being said, my question is about your papillon's typical greeting, for both people and dogs, or even other animals.

With people, Cali is almost overly friendly. By overly friendly, I mean tail going one hundred miles an hour, ears pinned back in true papillon fashion and about eighty five percent of the time, rolling over on or near their feet. She'll beg for a belly rub from nearly anyone and will happily give them a million and three kisses. Doesn't matter who it is, she loves everyone, young and old.

With dogs, she's relatively cautious but friendly. As a puppy, she was very forward, which we confirmed when she ran up to a full-grown great dane and tried giving him kisses. She soon realized how big he truly was and just rolled over, and one lick from him resulted in a completely wet stomach. She'll happily engage in play with specific dogs, but sadly, the only dogs she has to play with are my aunt's shih-tzus because the dogs in my area are either much too big or completely unsocialized and obnoxious. Cali will tolerate just about any dog except for one that is very in her face with little manners... she loved my dad's eleven week old chow mix except for the size difference and that he leaps instead of runs.

With other animals, for example, cats, she'll waddle over and lick their faces. Our cats get daily ear washings, except for the one who completely objects and has been known to give Cali a little tap on the head. She goes crazy for birds/squirrels/anything small that moves and enjoys stalking ants whenever one manages to find its way into the house.

Re: How does your papillon greet people/dogs?

Gizmo is also very exuberant! It doesn't matter if it's a dog or a person, he loves them automatically. His tail is wagging so fast, it's a blur of white hair, his ears disappear, and he does his happy dance where it seems like all of his feet MUST move at once! He has become just a little more cautious around big dogs. He still tries to jump on little dogs as a greeting... which they are not usually a fan of. Mo also LOVES to run through the flower beds at night to try to scare up a rabbit and we currently have 2 robins that have a nest in the backyard. They like to fly to the ground, Mo runs after them, they fly up to the privacy fence, he walks away, they fly back to the ground, he runs at them, etc, etc. I think those birds are trying to torture him! It's pretty hilarious. Gizmo has yet to meet a cat, so I have no clue what his response would be... He'd probably get a good swat on the nose. We love our happy little pap and everyone else seems to as well!

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Mojo will whine and pull toward other dogs, wanting too play. People he goes up to and sniffs, then happily accepts any petting, which can quickly turn into kisses and snuggling.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Abby is the typical ears back, tail wagging, exuberant pap! However, with strangers she can be a bit more cautious and will bark first, especially when they first walk into my apt and she doesnt know who they are. With other dogs she gets sooooo excited and just wants to play, but she doesn't like big dogs and will come running back to me if big dogs try to play with her. She's a mess!

I have 3 Papillons my oldest female (our first Papillon) was a fiesty dominant girl from day one when we got her at 5 months old. She typically barks at people but greets them friendly. She was a bit of a hassle when we used to live by the beach for this reason since she would run up to everyone (barking) but unagressive, of course noone knew she was being friendly.

Our male 2nd dog we adopted is a somewhat buggy little guy and can be scared easily. He loves meeting new people and isn't shy at all. The first time we stayed over my parents house for the night we slept in a bedroom with the door open and he ventured out and decided to sleep in my parents room. He's an odd one.

Our third girl who is 10 months now was shy the first 2 times she met strangers but she followed after the other two and now greets people happily.

As for all 3 greeting a person coming into our house or on the street they are all very eager and happy to meet people.
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Smokie is shy of people he doesn't know, especially men. Dogs it depends.. some he is shy of, others he immediately loves. He has a tendency to bark at people, putting on a tough act to keep them from coming to him. He will usually go to them if they don't make a move toward him, though. If I'm holding him, he will let people pet him, but he isn't entirely happy about it. He'll have his ears back and move his face away from them. But this tends to get him to accept someone much more quickly. He is very curious of new people though despite this, so he'll keep coming back up to them even if he's barking at them. Goofy dog.

Bravo is now just about 9 months old now, and still exhibiting very puppy-like behavior, but hopefully we've reinforced his good behavior well enough that is will continue on into "adulthood."

Bravo can hardly stand it! He thinks all people were put there for the sole purpose of being his friend! His whole body wags for both people and dogs.

We haven't wanted him jumping on everyone and barking, so we have "trained" friends and strangers that he can only be greeted once he's standing with "all four on the floor" and he is quiet. He has caught on to this fairly quickly (even though it's really hard for him!) and will stand there staring at a person and furiously wagging his tail until he gets petted.

I really do hope all this carries on into adulthood. We've tried hard to nurture that wonderful Pap trait of loving all people, while trying to rein in the exuberance that some people don't like (dog jumping up on your leg, barking, etc). I've never had a Pap puppy (my others were all purchased/adopted at a year or older), so he's my first "blank slate."

So far Jinx sees everyone as friends and playmates, she does her happy dance (butt up in the air, tail going, front feet tapping on the ground) when she greets the kids or other animals and when she sees me, she rears up and paws the air wanting me to pick her up or play with her (she is a mama's girl) She LOVES all other dogs and doesn't understand why I won't let her down to play with the big dogs (which in her case is just about every other dog, ha!) I really hope she doesn't lose her puppish enthusiasm, she is such a sweetheart.

Well, Blossom is a strange dog.... For People:
    She usually starts by stopping and staring in shock. Then proceeding to drag me over to her new best friends and jumping and tripping them, tail wagging all the while, most people don't mind, shes still a puppy, but she jumps about everything. Thats one of her main problems.

For Dogs:
    She charges towards them, once again dragging me, and sniffs very quietly for aprox:30 seconds. 90 % chance she'll jump all over and scratch them up, 10% chance she'll become best friends.

She is actually terrified of most large/medium dogs that we come across. She LOVES people sooo much, super happy, exuberant ears back etc.. She tends to try and jump into their arms, and usually i have to drag her away for the rest of the walk.
    Last edited by Lunareclipse123455; 03-08-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Lucy is on the timid side she's not too fond of meeting new people. She tends to bark for long streams of time, when she finally calms down if they move she goes off again. Recently though she's come to accept my dad and doesn't bark for very long. With dogs she is scared of dogs bigger than her, she tends to cower away from them. She'll bark back sometimes but generally seems anxious. Before me and my finacee' lived together, she lived with Makayla and her family. They had an Austrailian Shepard who liked to try and play rough with her and tended to pick on her. When it comes to puppies though she adores them and wants to go love on them, she'll whine and whimper to try to get close to any she sees on walks.