Thread: Some behavior questions

Some behavior questions

Jinx is finally over her kennel cough, and is full of energy and ***** now! Have a few puppy behavior questions for you all who have raised these lovable dogs before.

My 4 month old pap doesn't bark! I know she can, she barked once in her sleep (soooo cute, wish i could have caught that on video) She squeaks a little, when she wants out of her kennel or wants attention, but it is so very quiet. She will growl when she is playing with her toys (like in tug-of-war) Now, I am not at all complaining about the not barking, just wondering if it was normal?

Second, play time . . . she of course is a very playful puppy, and she loves playing with the kids and her toys, but when she really gets going, she will rip across the living room, back and forth, full tilt running 3-4 times. It is funny and makes all of us laugh, but I am worried she is getting a little manic about it? she will usually run to her kennel at the end of that and eat/drink and crash.

Anyway, any thoughts or advice would be most welcome. Over all she is a joy and I love every minute with her. Her favorite place to sleep, next to her kennel is curled up on my lap.

Re: Some behavior questions

Don't worry....Jinx will find her voice - then you'll want to install a "mute button!" LOL!! Bravo found his voice around 6-7 months, and has now learned the word "quiet" for those times I've had enough. It was easy to teach him, and he learned quickly.

That crazy running around is normal puppy play....Bravo does is at least once a day or so. We call it (lots of people call it) "zoomies" - and it's just a way for them to burn off all that energy they have....Here is a video of Bravo doing Zoomies about a month ago -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...68201216212232

Last edited by Avec Bravissimo; 05-06-2013 at 05:22 AM.

What Jinx is doing is what I used to call "puppy laps", but what discovered most papillon owners call "zoomies". It is a quite common puppy behavior!!!! At almost 9 years old Max will still this every once in a while.

It's my experience that it takes puppies (any breed) time to find their "voice". I would not be concerned about the lack of barking. Papillons are known barkers (they were originally guard dogs for the palaces, and would bark to alarm). Max came home to me at 12 weeks & didn't bark in the early going either. Now, he hardly ever barks when we are outside, but is a frequent barker inside!! Since I live in an apartment his barking was something I needed to work to control.

Maybe it takes time for the papillons to get comfortable in their surroundings so that they feel the need to protect it and that's when the barking starts????
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for s****s. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ~Roger Caras

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Mojo was 14 months when I got him and never seemed to bark. It took him awhile, and he still doesn't bark often, but he regularly barks at the mailman and any odd noise or person he notices outside.
    At just shy of 5 years, Mojo still loves to do Zoomies! Just ask anyone who attends the playdates we go to. lol
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

I'm so glad Jinx is doing well. Puzzle at 13 weeks does zoomies in the morning. He has also found his voice. Be thankful for the the silence. He learned in about 5 minutes from a neighbors jack russell.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Yes, zoomies describe that action perfectly haha she really rips around, it is fun to watch, more so now that it is 'normal'. Thanks for the video link to Bravo! My bigger dogs didn't do that sort of thing as pups. And that could be it too about her not barking, we have neighbor dogs who bark (and yap) quite a bit, but my Golden/Labs don't, unless they hear a strange noise near the front door or smell a strange person, and when they do that, Jinx likes to run and hide either in her kennel or to me, so she might feel it isn't her job yet to be the protector.

Sounds like a typical Papillon!

Cali wasn't huge on barking either when we first got her. It took her a few days to let out a play growl while playing... and it was all downhill from there. Moses, our twelve year old spaniel, is a big barker when he thinks someone is at the door... so she does the whole alert barking but is able to settle down much quicker than he is, thankfully. She usually saves her barking for when we're playing or she's super excited, she's pretty vocal and will occasionally bark at unfamiliar objects (garbage cans especially even though she sees so many). She's barked at maybe one or two people because they've startled her but she's good about not barking at people or other dogs... she's the type of dog to roll over on their shoes.

My advice is to enjoy the quiet while you have it! Although there's nothing wrong with a vocal dog, as long as it's not in a rude/nasty undertone.

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

What happens when Mojo first arrives at a play date. lol

Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

That's an awesome video!!! I love Mojo!

My husband wants me to add that he loves his name....he's a big fan of the Austin Powers' movies, LOL!!!

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Can't take credit for the name, he already had it when I got him.
    Nancy