Thread: Thinking of getting a papillion?

Unregistered

Thinking of getting a papillion?

Hi

Didn't want to sign up, if this doesn't happen. However I do need advice.
    I'm thinking of getting a second dog, we currently have a typical Cairn Terrier, who has been used to a bossy elderly westie, whom has sadly passed over the rainbow bridge. As well as growing up with various different breeds, ranging from chow chow - to a german shepherd, as my mother puppy walked for guide dog's
    However there are a few issues, that I'm concerned about. The terrier came to us as puppy, however I was thinking of getting a rescue dog, so need to be absolutely sure that the breed we rescue is 200% correct for us.
    I have my 2yr niece over 3days a week, as my sister works, my 12yr nephew after school (though he's used to large dogs), plus the terrier, I work from home, so that's not an issue. Plus another sister's children who are under 4yrs, though they only come round a few times a year.
    From all those we've looked at the Papillion took the family's attention. As a large breed would be too much for me to take on, due to back issues.

So any advice from those experienced with this breed. Granted I not really a toy dog person (please don't shoot me ), however if this breed is more than suitable for my household, I'll happily take one in.

Re: Thinking of getting a papillion?

i don't have much experience but i've always been a big dog person. i've had a collie, a lab mix & my dad has a boxer. Papillon's are big dogs, stuck in a little dogs body. They have that big dog personality.

My niece was just a little over 2 when I got Max. While she wasn't over 2x a week, she was over often. I have found Max to be wonderful with young children....as long as the child knows how to behave around a puppy/dog. My niece knew NOT to pull the tail & years. To approach gently, etc....

As Sophie'sMom said, papillons are small dogs with BIG personalities & hearts. Chances are if you are rescuing, you will get a larger size papillon too.

Good luck and if it works out I hope we see you as a regular member!
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for s****s. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ~Roger Caras

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz

Bravo LOVES kids (I'm luke-warm about them, LOL!!).

I protect that affection he has for kids - I don't leave him unsupervised for a second with kids. I've taught the kids how to throw a ball for him, how to pet him, and when he goes in his kennel, he is not to be disturbed at all.

I don't think Paps need any MORE supervision around children than any dog deserves (especially any of the toy breeds).