Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally Obedience

Rally Obedience

I've set a goal for myself and Cali.

We're going to try to get her a Rally Novice title, and if we enjoy it, I want to work our way up to higher titles. Cali loves doing training at home, she runs full speed to our "training mat" when she sees me get the treats and clicker out... so I think a rally obedience class would be something she'd enjoy. I'm intending on doing the rally class and probably a flyball class, which would give her one night a week for lots of mental stimulation and one time a week for something more physical.

I think she'll be a quick learner, since she usually is but my one worry would be her barking. I'm working on her down stay and at times, she'll just bark and bark and bark thinking she'll get her treat sooner. So, I've been only rewarding her when she hasn't barked for a few moments. That's really my big concern about it, or just trying to run off to the side to say hi to everyone. I do remember that when we took a basic obedience class last year, she did eventually have no issues focusing with all the other dogs around but at a rally trial, it'd likely be her first time in that environment.

Also, what kind of collar would I need to use for trials? I read I'd need a six foot long leash, so I'll likely buy a quality leather leash, probably a thin, rounded one.

In the end, I'll probably be the biggest problem. I've shown horses for the last few years, in both showmanship/conformation classes and undersaddle classes yet I always get so nervous during showmanship classes.

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Re: Rally Obedience

A plain buckle collar with nothing hanging from it is fine. Mojo has a rolled leather, buckle collar for obedience. We have mainly done traditional obedience, but will be doing Rally as well. His daughter, Skye, already has her Rally Novice title.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Okay, I'm leaning towards just a plain buckle collar, likely leather... but I might also go with a thicker, softer fabric martingale. I'm likely going to order the following lead from Etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/24212144...ther+dog+leash

She does already have a rolled leather collar, but it's quite thin and if for some reason, she starts tugging at the collar, I don't want too much isolated pressure on her neck.

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

http://www.onlead.biz/home.html

This is a vendor that is often at shows and trials out here. I was told when I started that her leads are the "to have" leads for obedience. It's also where I got his collar.

Pap leads and necklace 001.jpg
    Last edited by MojoPap; 03-20-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

I'll have to look into it when the time comes! I'd like to find one with a little bit of bling possibly, or beading.

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Mojo earned his second Leg in Rally Novice today with a score of 98 out of a possible 100!
    Last edited by MojoPap; 12-24-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    Nancy

That's awesome! I wish I lived in an area more catered to dogs and training... the only trainer who was reasonably close had to change their location to an hour or so away so it's out of the question for us this year probably.

That's fantastic!!!!

Congratulations!!!

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons
    Last edited by MojoPap; 06-25-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    Nancy

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Mojo earned 2 Legs toward his UKC RO1 Title today with 2 second place finishes out of 10 dogs competing.

Score 95

Score 98
    Last edited by MojoPap; 12-24-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    Nancy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast