Thread: Undescended testicle

Undescended testicle

Hi all,

My vet said that Tuffy has one undescended testicle. He couldn't find it by feeling around. He says we will keep hoping for it to drop and check each month, doing the neuter at 9 mo even if it hasn't dropped.

I imagine a few of you have had a dog with an undescended testicle, so I want to ask your experience. I have two concerns:

(1) the vet didn't feel an ultrasound was necessary, but some articles about this on the Web recommend an ultrasound to prevent the dog from "being under" an extended length of time while the vet searches for the missing testicle. Should I insist on an ultrasound?

(2) His plan is to check for the testicle each month and neuter on the day he finally finds it. Tuffy is 2.2 lb and 14 weeks old. But here's what worries me. The vet said to feed him at 7:30 a.m. and then bring him in at 10 a.m. when he is 16 wk old. If the testicle is down, then he'll neuter him that day. I have always fasted a dog overnight for morning surgery due to worries about aspiration into the lungs while under anaesthesia, but he says in a dog so small it's too dangerous to let him go so long without food due to hypogylcemia. Does this sound right to you?

I have only ever had adult dogs, never a puppy, and only one of my dogs came to me unfixed. I had him fixed immediately (he was 4 yr old) and he ripped out his stitches and almost bled to death overnight, so neutering is now a scary event for me.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Deb and the fur angel quartet

Re: Undescended testicle

Personally, I think 16 weeks is a bit young to be neutering a dog unless necessary for some reason. If it were me, I'd opt to wait until at least 6 months. I could see an ultrasound being a good idea right before the neuter if it does not descend, but I wouldn't worry about it until the time comes, since it may not end up being needed. They can drop later on. 9 months is generally considered the cut off where if they haven't yet, they most likely won't.