Thread: Question about handlers for a Papillon puppy & help finding a show/puppy match....

Question about handlers for a Papillon puppy & help finding a show/puppy match....

Bravo is doing really well in his conformation classes...we have been to two, but I'm very please with his progress!! He has a nice presence, is confident, and (so far) completely comfortable.

At list night's class, I met a woman (she was teaching the class) who is a handler who has handled several Paps (and other toy breeds). She is knowledgeable, helpful, and well liked at the dog-training club. We are meeting for a one on one this Sunday after I have some time to work on a few things (teeth!!! He's real pill about his teeth!!!).

She has a PhD in Behavioral Sciences.

She is currently working on a Border Terrier of her own to compete with - same age as Bravo.

Anyway, if Bravo does well, I may end up using her for a handler...we are going to talk. At least with her, she is less than 10 miles from my house - and I can drop Bravo with her a few times per week during the day for her to work with him....I do not have to leave him for extended periods of time.

What kind of questions should I ask her before selecting her as a handler? Will her handling her BT affect her ability to handle Bravo? She didn't indicate there would be a conflict, but....

Also.........she told me to look at some upcoming shows to see what's coming up and what we might be available to attend for a puppy match. We're going to talk more over the next week.

Here is the list of shows in my area: http://www.infodog.com/panels/fl.htm but the problem is....I can't determine which shows I should be looking at (even reading the "legend")....

*sigh* It's so hard to "break in" to all this...

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Re: Question about handlers for a Papillon puppy & help finding a show/puppy match...

Look for shows that have AB under Type, that means All Breed conformation.
    I have always shown myself,but with a handler depends on how many dogs they are showing. Ring conflicts do occur when showing multiple breeds, and the handler may ask someone else to take a dog in for them while they take in the dog they feel has a better chance of winning, or they may not take one dog in over another in a conflict if they feel one has a better shot at winning than the other. My first show Lhasa, his breeder was also a handler, the one weekend I could't take him in she offered to do so, but only if she didn't have a conflict, and this was her own dog! Since I wasn't a paying client, she was co-owner as well as breeder, we didn't have priority.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Re: Question about handlers for a Papillon puppy & help finding a show/puppy match...

Thanks, Mojo!! I needed that info!!!

Currently she is showing the BT for herself, and an Irish Wolfhound (just need a major) and just finished a CKC in November.

I'll keep you posted after Sunday :-)