Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aggressive Pap puppy

Aggressive Pap puppy

Just brought home the world's cutest pap puppy (IMHO)! He is 11 weeks old and just 2 lb. I have three adult Japanese chin which are wonderful, gentle toy dogs. The little pap puppy is growling and lunging and acting very aggressively toward them. I think he is "guarding" me. My other dogs are so gentle that they run away from him.

papillon7.jpgHow do I get everyone to be friends?

Re: Aggressive Pap puppy

With out seeing the behavior its hard to tell for sure, but it very likely could be play behavior. My pap is very loud when he plays with other dogs. And at 11 weeks it is very rare to have a truely aggressive reaction. If you can get a video of the behavior so we can see it would help

I agree...it would be unusual for any pup of any breed to be aggressive...especially one so young.

It could be play...or he could be feeling defensive/threatened by the other dogs. How did you introduce the new puppy to the other dogs?

Can you get some video?

I will try to get my son to take a video (I am technology challenged), but I'm not sure how to post it.

I have three adult Jap chins, so I know play behavior well. This is more of a "resource guarding" of me or whatever human he is sitting or playing with at the moment. Sorry--no name yet for the pup.

Well...if it really ends up resource guarding, you will want to nip that quickly. That is no bueno, for sure....but should be an easy fix at this early age.

I want to be clear that I am/was not questioning your abilities in handling your dogs.....you asked a question that needed a little more info from you to give you a helpful answer. None of us here know what the other knows until we "talk". :-)

In that same vein, how long have you had your pup? He is absolutely beautiful, by the way!

Just got him 3 days ago.

How did it go with him today? More of the same?

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Mojo, that's a great link!!

I actually own 3 Papillons. My adult female (3 years old) and adult male (2 years old) play. They play all day long and it gets intense. They do go for the throat with their open mouth and sometimes the female can grab his ears and not let go and he will cry. The female is a bit rought but not in a fighting sort of way. We will have to remind her (not so rough) and she stops. Play gets really intense with these guys. It actually goes both ways as the male who is small and more submissive has found a way to disable the more powerful female during play. He will look for the absolute most perfect opportunity and go in for the grab and grab my female by her tail. It literally is comperable to a bullrider on one of those mechanical bulls (Him being the rider), he's gotten very good at it and our female can sometimes not get him off despite her best efforts and eventually will give up with him still in the full on "pull" position latched onto her tail growling and tugging. Growling isn't always a bad thing.

I've met a lot of "silent biters" so I appreciate the ones that give a growl first (I work at a pet resort). But as for our 3 honestly the amount of growls and overall noise and crazy maneuvers to a person not from our household it would be alarming. Growling is a way of dogs communicating so I allow growling between our dogs. As long as it doesn't escalate I consider it them talking to each other.

When we brought our puppy into the mix my female of course began to play with her the same way she does with our male (at the throat) and I noticed instead of her using her mouth she used her chin to pin her to the floor instead of her open mouth. Our male also does the same and goes for the tail on the puppy. The puppy unlike our 13lb adult female he can actually drag around by it's tail as opposed to our huge female that he can possibly only budge a few inches. He compleatly forgets he's playing with the puppy sometime and will drag her across the yard by her tail. We have to yell at him "not so rough too".

As for our puppy we have realized that she has started to put our dogs in their place as well. With bones, and food. I think this is healthy since otherwise the dogs would steal it from her. Now they come over look at it she gives a slight growl or look and they know to leave her alone. No physical confrontation has ever been necessary with my dogs as they are very vocal with each other and they all have established boundaries.

I have found our puppy trying to guard specific spots though when we are laying (resource guarding--me) so that is a no no. We say "NO!" and put her on the floor. If she is guarding you from the other dogs I would put her on the ground and call the dogs to you and lavish them in attention. The puppy is very young so it may take a while to catch on but gentle constant reinforcement.

Papillons can get the napoleon syndrome very quickly so you need to nip it in the bud. It isn't normal (if that was what you were asking).

They will all learn each other and establish friendships. Don't be too worried about that but continue to correct bad behavior even if it's over and over and reinforce good behavior. You've only had her 3 days so it will take a while for everyone to get in sync but it will happen.

I'd also like to note that I never allow a dog to growl at me. Every puppy when the start to approach adolescence will attempt to see what boundaries he has. He/she will growl when you try to move them/take a toy away/touch them while they're eating/etc., they will do this a few times. This need to be corrected immediately with a loud yell a "NO!" will do followed by taking whatever they are guarding and forcefully putting them on the floor (not throw them or anything but put them down a little faster than normal ) also "shaming" doesn't hurt by pointing your finger and saying "no! no!" while they're on the floor a few times. But all dogs will challenge your position as alpha you need to correct it when it happens. Some people think "I don't mind if he guards his bone" him guarding a bone from you will escalate into more dominance/aggressive problems that aren't just the bone anymore. You need to be an alpha in every part of his life. Dogs are very smart. It's programmed into them to be the alpha or be submissive. They will try it so I just wanted to give you a heads up on how I handled it for my dogs.

BTW her pictures already makes her look like a little stick of dynamite. I can see the ***** in her face. <3
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast