Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What treats do you give your Papillon? And what would you recommend?

What treats do you give your Papillon? And what would you recommend?

So now the Ivvy created a food thread I figured I'd start off a treat thread.

I get all my food and treats from a local pet store that stocks mostly high end items but still read the labels. I avoid treats with grains in them for the most part and any with ingredients sourced from China. Here are some of the girls' favorites:

One of their new favorites are the Pure Vita treat lines. I've given them both the Beef Liver and Sweet Potato and the Chicken Giblet and Sweet Potato varieties and they love both types. The treats are freeze dried and are separate chunks of the ingredients. They aren't hard or crunchy and seem to be fairly easy to chew. The ingredients are all sourced from the USA.

Clear Conscience Pets is another brand I frequent. They have a large variety of treats from crunchy Bison Liver Bark to chunks of Lamb Lung. They are entirely grain free and the meat is humanely sourced from the USA.

Re: What treats do you give your Papillon? And what would you recommend?

Awesome thread . I am guilty of giving poor quality treats :-\ even though dog food quality is really important to me (makes no sense). When I first adopted my girl 3 years ago I bought a dehydrator and had the idea to dehydrate yams. I DO need to get back into that. I tried freeze dried beef liver (bought from petco--so I don't know the quality of it) and they literally sniffed it and darted their eyes in the other direction like "what is that dead thing".

Luckily where we moved to has a really nice mom-and-pop sort of pet store. It's big, but everything they sell seems to be handpicked by the owner and is of quality. The toys from there are $15+ each, even small ones, but they never come apart. Belle is notorious for getting squeakers out of plush toys and she never can get into these. I no longer have to order my dog food offline either (thank god!), they stock Orijen! I will have to see what kind of high quality treats they have next time I go I'm sure they'll have them. I really should be more conscious of what is in my dogs treats since I'm so obsessed with advocating about dog food.

I'm so happy to see this shift in pet stores popping up that actually care about quality products.

My dogs actually prefer plain hard biscuits, as long as they're small enough. I just checked out the Pure Vita site. It looks like these ones are hard and plain-ish. Perfect .
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Mojo's favorite treats. Made, processed and packaged in the USA!
    http://www.konaschips.com/
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Pupae

Great topic! I feed Oreo 100% baked salmon skin tiddlers (tiny squares) from Fish4Dogs and are made in the UK. They are only in the UK and EU I think though.

I also give her kibbles as treats, for some reason when I pretend they are a treat, they are much better than what is in her bowl. Haha!

My local pet store has dried salmon skin rolls for the dogs to chew on. They smell horrible but the dogs love them. I'll get them every once in a while as a change from the bully sticks.

Oh and for bully sticks I highly recommend Barkworthies brand. Once again they are all sourced here in the US and the dogs really love to chew them. They can get kind of stinky though.

I requested a sample from Ziwipeak so recently I've been using the air-dried venison as treats. Also those little sample packs of kibble you can get from pet stores make pretty good treats. I do try to stick with grain-free things but I'm a little more lax and not so picky with treats (I mostly check that they're not from China or have a completely junky ingredients list).

I found some treats from the K9 Granola Company that the girls really like. They are peanut butter flavored with carob pieces in them. The treats are a little big but they wolf them down pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by naql View Post
    My local pet store has dried salmon skin rolls for the dogs to chew on. They smell horrible but the dogs love them. I'll get them every once in a while as a change from the bully sticks.

Oh and for bully sticks I highly recommend Barkworthies brand. Once again they are all sourced here in the US and the dogs really love to chew them. They can get kind of stinky though.
    I've seen the salmon skin rolls before at a local store...are they messy? I've considered picking up a couple or getting a box of the Beams from The Honest Kitchen. The smell really gets to me but if it doesn't make a mess I can deal with the smell since I know Toki would totally enjoy them. Seems like a great source of Omega-3s

They aren't messy at all. I think they like them so much that that they'll clean up any little bits they break off.

I love freeze-dried meats as treats, but they tend to be pricey, so we don't always have them on hand. I get various jerky type treats as well, aiming for ones with as few ingredients as possible. We've used Real Meat and Wellness Pure Rewards most often I think.

I've also made them myself by cutting up meat into tiny pieces and either baking it on low heat for a few hours or just letting it dry out in the fridge for a few days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast