Thread: Spaying a Female Papillon Puppy

Spaying a Female Papillon Puppy

Nina just turned 6 months yesterday so I've made the appointment to have her spayed on the 30th. I am so nervous! I hope that because of her age (and because Papillons are known to be seisitive to anesthesia) that she will be okay. I didn't have my first female spayed until she was 2 years old so it's a little nerve wracking knowing I am sending my 6 month old puppy off to have such a serous surgery.

Am I doing the right thing by having her spayed at 6 months? Should I wait longer?
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Re: Spaying a Female Papillon Puppy

I like to have mine done before their first heat - so by six months really is the best time to do it - IMO.

Before their first heat, their uterus is smaller/less developed and when removed prior to a first heat, it is less likely that there will be excessive bleeding during the spay. Also, there are cancers that are prevented if you spay before the first heat (when estrogen begins being produced)

You are doing the right thing....even though it makes you nervous. She will be fine!! :-)

I too think it is a good idea to have it done before the first heat. I would not want my pup to go through a heat cycle if they did not have to.
    If it makes you feel any better I had Butters spayed at 6 1/2 months old and it was very simple. I too was sooooo worried but it turned out to be a non-event. I did get her pain meds because she is well for lack of a better word a little wimpy. I gave her the meds maybe 3 times but she was never really uncomfortable and I do not think they were really necessary. I was shocked at how good she felt after and I am sure it will be the same for Nina.

Oh man, the date is getting closer. This Thursday is the day. I am so unbelievably nervous. I remember when we got my 2 year old female spayed and I literally layed in bed all day basically unable to do anything productive at all and all I could keep picturing was her opened up on the operating table or her dying. I convinced myself after that it wasn't worth it and I would never put myself or another female dog through it again. Even when we pulled up to pick her up I was absolutely convinced as we were in line that when we got to the counter and told the receptionist our dog was Belle that they were going to have to apologize and tell us that unfortunately Belle died during surgery.

I just need Thursday between 8am when I drop her off and 3pm when I pick her up to be over. I will be so happy when she is safe and alive in my arms. What a terribly nerve-wracking experience. I do feel for people who don't get their dogs done because I know atleast half of them don't go through with it because of the same fear I have.

I have to think positive though since I know it's the best thing for her and us. We gave Belle (our other female) less attention the month she was in heat because she hated having the bitchesbritches (she wanted to lick it and she seemed really bothered she couldn't) so we'd take them off and leave her in the crate for a few hours. But she got a lot less attention 2 months out of the year (since she went into heat twice year). And since Nina will have never gone into heat she will hopefully be at less of a risk for mammary and other sexual organ cancers/tumors. ..positive thinking..must think of the positives.

Thank you all for the replies and support. It does calm my mind a bit but I am still terrified. I'll be terrified no matter what until this procedure is over!
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Girl! I feel your pain!!! I was a hot mess yesterday over...........wait for it..............when Bravo got his.............rabies vaccine! LOL!!!

I was so worried he'd have a reaction to it (had that happen with one of my other Paps)...I put it off as long as I could, LOL!

Anyway...she is going to be just fine :-) They do these surgeries every day...and it is the best thing in the world for her!

Now...when we switch roles, and it's Bravo's turn (couple of years), you can copy and paste this back to me!!!

Hugs!

Wait for it... wait for it.... lololol that gave me the biggest laugh this morning! Thank you! Another day closer. This entire week is just dragging and terrible. I will most definitely post support back to you when Bravo gets done.
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

LOL! Glad I could make you laugh!!

I understand the panic, my pap pup, as well is turning six months old and needs a surgery. I wish you good luck!