Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COLLAR & LEASH!? When's they right age to train a pap pup to walk on a leash?

Question COLLAR & LEASH!? When's they right age to train a pap pup to walk on a leash?

Hello, im wondering when its ok to start to train little Sophie to walk on a leash, I'm slowly getting her use to a collar... i have a regular small leash & i have a retractable one also. Which one should i try first, & how should i go about getting her use to that? PLEASE help!? btw Sophie is 11 weeks old today.

i live in an apartment complex, & there is a big grassy area next to my building & Sophie has been fine about not going near the road, but the last couple days she's been going in the parking lot (its like a cul-da-sac kinda thing) i don't want her to start running on to the main street, cars fly by!

Should I get one of those cushion harnesses, that the leash loop is in the back, instead of using a regular collar?
    Last edited by Sophie'sMom929; 12-15-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Re: COLLAR & LEASH!? When's they right age to train a pap pup to walk on a leash?

Start as early as possible. Get a light weight leash that she drag behind her inside so she gets used to the feel of it. You can encourage her to go the way you want while holding the lead with treats or toys. Harnesses are better for small dogs, it is easy to damage the trachea with a collar if they fight it or pull a lot. Mojo has a harness (which has his tags on it)and a Flexi lead for walks, a round leather collar and leather leash for obedience, and a special toy breed sized show lead for conformation shows.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Re: COLLAR & LEASH!? When's they right age to train a pap pup to walk on a leash?

When looking for retractable leashes...make sure you get the smallest size. It's easy to forget that if you go a size up to fit YOUR hands in the grip, the PULL on the retraction is too strong for the puppy and chokes and pulls them back.

Yep, they are both right!

I also want to strongly recommend a harness for walking instead of a collar...if she struggles with a collar, she can slip it and be gone faster than you'll even know what happened.

In the house, Bravo wears a collar with bells (so we can hear him & don't accidentally step on him). When we leave the house, he wears his harness.

Yes, go with a harness instead of a collar.

I'm not a fan of the rectractable leashes. But that's just me.
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for s****s. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ~Roger Caras

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz

Thank you for the all the advice. @BiJoux: I've the smallest retractable leash & i have a skinny regular leash.
    Ok, another question, which kind of harness should i get, can you guys please post a picture of the type of harness, I should get?

The Puppia Harness is very popular right now.
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for s****s. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ~Roger Caras

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz

I ordered a Puppia (Black with white polka-dots) that should be here next week, but I was impatient and went and purchased this one today at PetsMart - it wasn't cheap ($25), but I like it so far....

Bravo - 16 weeks (7) (Large).JPG

When the Puppia gets here, I will write up a little comparison.

I also want to mention something about retractable leads. (another harness vote as well! Cali wears her harness on walks, etc but has a rolled leather collar and a fetching tag for inside)

I used to walk Cali on a flexi lead but stopped after one day when it unlocked. We were walking down the road, with a transport coming.. I looked over and saw Cali about three feet onto the side of the road because the lock had unlocked. So if you walk with a retractable lead, don't rely on the locking system. After that, I've used a regular 6ft leash but usually keep her close unless we're off in a field or something, in which case I bring her out on a long line.

Hello, thanks for all the advice again! I got little sophie a pink harness (also came with a pink 4ft leash) from Hollywood Hounds.
    so now i have a 4ft leash, a 6ft leash, & a retractable leash) & like 2 or 3 regular collars, haha. & of course the new harness

here is a picture of Sophie @ 11 1/2 weeks old, wearing new harness. (it's an XXS, haha)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast