Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What dog food do you feed your Papillon? What dog food do you recommend?

What dog food do you feed your Papillon? What dog food do you recommend?

I feed Orijen because it is 80% meat source 20% canine digestible vegetables and contains no grains. It has also been named the pet food of the year for 3 years now and has gained several awards.

I researched a lot of dry kibble, other high quality kibble I would recommend include:

Orijen

Acana
    Fromm
    Taste of the Wild (TAOW)
    Evangers
    Canidae

Wellness
    Blue Buffalo

I'll go into detail on how I rate these later. I'm just trying to bookmark some threads really quick :P.
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Re: What dog food do you feed your Papillon? What dog food do you recommend?

I've never tried Orijen with the girls. I usually switch between the different varieties of Acana and Nature's Variety Instinct. I'd say their favorite food is Acana Pacifica because they really seem to like fish. They also like the lamb and duck flavors of Nature's Variety.

My recommendations would be:

Acana
    Nature's Variety Instinct
    DNA
    Blue Buffalo Wilderness
    Wellness Core

I took into consideration the meat content and the lack of grain in my choices. Another big factor is the size of the kibble. While they liked the DNA and Blue Buffalo the kibble was actually a little big for Tessa.

I based a lot of my research on the reviews at Dog Food Advisor.
    Last edited by naql; 09-13-2012 at 04:00 PM.

I use Dog Food Advisor a lot too.

Max is on the Nature's Variety Instinct Raw. I've been giving him the chicken patties. He had been getting half a patty a day, but at our last checkup he had gained a bit of weight. So he's been cut down to 1/3 of a patty a day. Along with low calorie treats and lots more walking, Max has lost 7 ounces since Aug 16!

I used dog food advisor and then also reviewed a lot of info on other dog forums to narrow it down. I do wish Orijen had smaller kibble. I really liked Fromm's small kibble (I forget which variety) but it was the perfect size for a Pap. Also thanks for clarifying that Wellness CORE is the quality one.

I noticed my dogs prefer other dog foods over Orijen. When we visit family they go straight for the Science Diet. Do you think it's because science diet adds flavor enhancers? I kind of relate it to how I don't like plain chicken and rice and I'd rather chicken and rice slathered in some kind of deliciously flavored sauce.

I want to try RAW but I don't know if I'm ready to dive in just yet. What are you paying per month for Max on the RAW patties?

I just had my female spayed and I used to think she was underweight (she's oddly proportioned--really tall) and I could always feel her hip bones. Since getting spayed she's gained so much weight. They claim it doesn't make them gain but I disagree! :P I have to actually weight out portions rather than free feed now.
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ivvy View Post
    I want to try RAW but I don't know if I'm ready to dive in just yet. What are you paying per month for Max on the RAW patties?
    I shop at a Pet Goods. It's a local private small chain (just 4 stores, 2 in NY State & 2 in NJ). The patties come 12 to a bag, so I buy about a bag a month and pay a little under $40.00 for each bag.

I give the girls Stella and Chewy raw before. They both really loved it especially the Surf 'N Turf and the Duck Duck Goose ones.

I feed prey model raw, which aims for about 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ (with half of that being liver). Smokie's had a big variety of meat, but most often chicken, pork, and venison.

Quote Originally Posted by Chattles View Post
    I shop at a Pet Goods. It's a local private small chain (just 4 stores, 2 in NY State & 2 in NJ). The patties come 12 to a bag, so I buy about a bag a month and pay a little under $40.00 for each bag.
    That's actually really reasonable... seeing as I pay about $20/month now on dry kibble.
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Mojo is currently on Blue Buffalo Wilderness for small breeds. He gets the dry and canned mixed and is completely gaga over it! I can't get it mixed and down fast enough for him. He dashes into his pen, jumps up and paws at the sides while barking at me to HURRY UP!

Pupae

I'm in the UK, and I fed Applaws but now I am transitioning onto Fish4Dogs.
    The 12kg bag of food is 44
    Expensive but I'm feeding one tiny Papillon so it lasts, I just put it in a sealed container.

When I was in the states I fed TOTW.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast