Thread: Feeding my Papillon puppy - need a "gravy-like" additive to make food more appealing.

Feeding my Papillon puppy - need a "gravy-like" additive to make food more appealing.

Bravo is doing fantastic! High-energy, bright eyes, coat healthy and shiny...all the things you want to see in a puppy.

I'm just not convinced he's eating enough. He probably is eating the equivalent of 4 tablespoons of Acana Wild Prairie kibble twice a day (he simply won't touch his third meal at all, so for now, I have quite offering it.

He has chew-treats that are not filling him up - he has bully-sticks, cow's hoof, pigs ear (he's hardly made a dent in it after two weeks, but he does love to lick it), and a deer antler.

I know that this Acana food is what is best for him....and it's what he's going to eat (I have 6 five pound bags that cost more than $80!)....but I was wondering if there was a "healthy" gravy additive that I can soak his food in that will make it more appealing without totally undermining his healthy diet.

My other Paps were not extremely food motivated....but they were not growing puppies that I had to worry about!

Re: Feeding my Papillon puppy - need a "gravy-like" additive to make food more appeal

I'm not sure about how healthy it is but I actually used warm milk with our puppy Nina when we first got her. They recommended using cottage cheese or yogurt to help her ears stand (both of which she hated--especially the curds they freaked her out lol) so I decided to just warm up her food with milk and she gobbled it right up. She liked it at a specific temperature, if the temp dropped to room temperature she didn't like it, it had to be hotter. Also she didn't like if I let it sit and soak in. Just a quick 30 seconds in the microwave, stir it a few times until it's not scalding and serve (hot like soup is what I noticed she liked--as long as it's not burning your finger it's not too hot.)

If anyone can chime in and say milk is unhealthy, otherwise I'd say give warm milk a go.

I feed Fromm currently and I feed my 2 adults 1 cup/day and I feed her 1.25 cups/day (now with regular water at 5 months--she won't eat as much if I don't mix water).

Also hypoglycemia is common in small breed puppies. Keep a bottle of plain clear karo syrup on hand just in case-- you will probably never have to use it. If a puppy becomes non responsive after not eating rub karo syrup on the inside of their mouth. Also read up on hypoglycemia in small breed to familiarize yourself *just in case!*.
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Re: Feeding my Papillon puppy - need a "gravy-like" additive to make food more appeal

I mix in some lamb stew from BLUE, to give some soft and gravy appeal..but i only do it in the morning and let her graze on the dry all day.

I've seen this stuff at our store but never tried it since my girls will eat just about anything: http://www.clearconsciencepet.com/supergravy/

You guys are GREAT!! Ha! Thank you so much!!

Lots of great ideas!! Our other Paps were not super food motivated/food centered, so I don't know why I'm surprised. *sigh* Our Corgi that we lost last Christmas ate everything and anything -she was like a freaking vacuum cleaner!!!

All that said, you won't believe this....but he went for his 12 week vaccine boosters (and worming) on Sa****ay afternoon, and he went from 3 pounds (when I picked him up two weeks ago) to 4.5 pounds today!!!! I couldn't believe it!!! The vet said not to worry - his weight is perfect....not too heavy and not to light!

She also said that it's probably because the food is free of fillers, so he needs less than what I would otherwise feed. She said (at this point) not to add anything - it could create a fussy eater (like you guys pointed out - and what I was worried about).

You could have knocked me over with a feather! I was so worried...and feeling so guilty. I ordered a scale off Ebay today...then I can just weigh him once a week and be done with it!!

We are leaving for N.C. today....so no time for new pics today - but these are from Wednesday :-) He is twelve weeks old now!!!

I thought doing that was gonna make her fussy, so far she still will eat her dry, but she prefers to eat socially and what I mean by this, she eats better when im near her. Because I take her to work with me, I can't watch how much she eats thru out the day, or be right there to make her eat, she hangs out in the kennels and stays with the caregivers in the back.. So making sure I get her to eat a good big meal in the morning, helps me to not worry about her being hungry when im working, up front LOL.
    Last edited by Bijoux; 11-22-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Bijoux - Bravo does the exact same thing - he likes to eat while while Zaan and I are around him, too.

Post some new pics of Bijoux!! I need my fix!!