Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Post Hello

Hi everyone. My name is Analeyn. I'm also in the Sheltie Forums (sheltieforums.com) if anybody here is also a Sheltie fan. You pronounce my name as Anna-Lynn if anyone is confused. Lots of people wonder how to correctly pronounce it .

Okay well, I'm confused if I should get a Sheltie or a Pap. I never had a dog before but I know how to take care of one. I'm a dog addict lol. I might get a dog so here I am! What are the honest pros and cons of Paps? I can't find a true honest one anywhere.

Analeyn

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Re: Hello

Welcome to the Forum!
    Paps are very loyal and want to be where you are doing what you are doing. Some can be very hyper, best ones to get involved in Agility. Some can be barky, most aren't. They do shed, but is light. As long as they have a proper single coat, they are very wash and wear. Depending on the size of the Pap they can be very fragile. They are prone to bad knees, early tooth loss, and possible eye problems. They are very versatile and very smart. They one of top breeds to compete with in Obedience. They are just as happy cuddling with you on the sofa, as they are to go for a long walk or play a game of fetch with their favorite toy. They can be prone to a case of the zoomies! lol They always seem to know another Pap, even at a distance and will head straight for them no matter how many other dogs are in the area. It often suprises people whose Paps have not had contact with other Paps, how they will react to each other.
    Just remember that a Sheltie is a herding breed. They need to keep busy and they are barkers, it is part of what they were bred to do. More coat care as well. They also are very smart and make great obedience, and agility dogs.
    Last edited by MojoPap; 11-12-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Thank you, MojoPap . That helped a ton! I'm leaning toward Papillons now... They seem lower maintenance.

Hi Analeyn! Welcome! It's awesome to have you here <3. Papillons are amazing dogs. I have always owned big dogs but I was introduced to Papillons by my boyfriend and we now own 3 papillons and usually foster 1 or 2 at a time. We currently have 1 foster right now so we have 4 amazing little Papillons in our house. They are beautiful unique and quirky little creatures. They are supposed to be the 8th smartest dog and for a little dog that is a big feat!

After my first Papillon I convinced myself my 2nd dog would be a big dog (border collie, heeler, GSD) then I adopted my 2nd pap... I then said if I were to get a 3rd permanant dog it would be a big dog. and now I own 3 papillons. There is so much to say about the breed that all I can really say is that they are my favorite. Beautiful unique dogs with bigs ears extremely unique personalities and very smart.

And they're always a head turner since they're not overly popular and they have a unique look that sets them apart. I have many favorite breeds but the Papillon stole my heart.
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

I love the cute big ears. It's hard to imagine who doesn't like them.

(My mother of course . She doesn't like shedding. Her favorite breed is the Siberian Husky... But only for looking lol.)

Papillons are supposed to be a single coated breed so they don't shed year long. Their ear fringe (the hair on their ears) doesn't shed. I've noticed one of my Papillons sheds her coat twice a year, she will get a thicker winter coat (with no undercoat) and in the summer her fur will thin out to the point where you can almost see her spots under her fur. My male doesn't shed his coat at all.
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Alrighty, I'll probably get a male instead of a female if I get a dog. Plus, they're generally more affectionate so that's a plus ! The coats are also fluffier I think.

Welcome to the forums!

Papillons are great dogs. They love attention and love to give you attention. Be prepared for lots of kisses and cuddles.

As far as energy goes with my pap it seems like she is either going all out and playing or just curled up next to me sleeping. There really isn't much middle ground.

She loves to go for walks and play off leash at the dog park. Be prepared to be a stopped a lot when walking the dog because they tend to be the center of attention (and they love it).

Oh and be prepared to be asked if the dog is a long haired chihuahua all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by naql View Post
    Oh and be prepared to be asked if the dog is a long haired chihuahua all the time.
    ^LOL! or be prepared to be asked if your male is a girl dog! We were walking out of petco once and a 5 year old girl asked if Lito my male was a girl dog (he looks very girly with his long flowy hair) and we said no and she said "sorry" lol!
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Lol, don't worry I know ALLLL about it. First of all, my parents are asian but I'm born in America. People ask me "can you speak Chinese?" (They ask that AFTER they ask me if I'm Chinese ). So I say "what's Chinese? There's no language called Chinese." And then they look super embarrassed after I say that there is over 200 languages and dialects in China . Lol, same thing with Poodles. I say "poodles are cute, doncha think?". Then they say "EWWW POODLES ARE UGLY AND GIRLY! THEY'RE STUPID AND DISGUSTING!". So I say "poodles were originally bred to be hunting dogs. They're the second most intelligent dog breed.". The expression is PRICELESS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast