Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Papillon Quirks

Re: Papillon Quirks

Quote Originally Posted by kellyk100rs View Post
    Chattles......I've had similar experiences with past dogs when it comes to crossing any kind of surface with a hole or space between the floor surface that they have to go over. Kind'a like a cattle grate put on roads with an open grate that cattle won't go over. It's hysterical to watch this with a 110lbs male German Shepard who is brought to a state of panack about going through a door way with a 1" space in the threshold like I had. Does the elevator door way have a gap like this with an open space?
    There's a small gap nothing major. But there are 4 elevators and it's just ONE specific elevator that freaks him out. He had no trouble getting on any of the other three, so I don't think the gap is the issue! LOL
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for s****s. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ~Roger Caras

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz

This is great topic.....Ok...Picasso my oldest boy is such a weirdo, where do I begin? I mentioned standing on his hind legs for long periods of time in my first post. I timed him once for over minute. I also mentioned him sitting on my shoulder like a parrot when I take him places to go inside a store and when I come home each day he runs at me and jumps into my arms and pretty much expects me to catch him whether I'm ready or not...I've learned to be ready! He does this "charging bull" thing where he will stand in front of you and scratches the ground with one front paw....this is usually followed by spinning around and chasing his tail...then reversing directions. He also does this "head flip" thing where he throws his head back and then from side to side. What's up with that? He will try to climb trees to get squirrels and I've had to pull him down from as high as 5 ft or so before. He will also try and climb ladders if you go up one first. I have to come back down and put him inside or he will keep trying. He likes to bite Po's tail like Ivy's girl and sometimes he will get a really good hold and start pulling Po backwards. Po really loves this! (not) I mentioned the growling noise he makes all the time. It will start low then at the end go up really high like a whimper. He also makes this other growling sound that sounds like he is under water which is followed by this kind of garbled noise like a mouth full of marbles...and then smacks his lip. The one that really surprises me is this almost human voice sound where I have to stop to see if someone is in my house. I think it's one of his yawning noises but I've never seen him do it in front of me. He constantly talks back at me like Ivy's dog but his default sound is more of a straight up growl almost every where he goes...all the time. And he has howled like a wolf but I've only seen him do this twice. He tells me when his water bowl is empty by scratching it but...he also now thinks if he does this he will get food too and tries to fake me out sometimes. When he wants something and I'm reading or not paying attention to him....he will come up very slowly to me and very delicately put his paw on my mouth or sometimes my forehead and just leave it there until I stop what I'm doing. When he wants something that Po has or wants his spot on the bed...he will run to the front room and bark and when Po come dashing around the corner to look out the window...he goes the opposite direction and steals Po's stuff. He loves to be held but gets really mad if you turn him on his back....not scared, mad! But my favorite thing that he does is to sit in my armpit when I'm in bed reading.....if you touch him at all with your hand he will get up and leave, but if you do nothing, he will sit curled up against you all night and never move. He also does this "vulture" thing where he will stand on my chest when I'm laying in bed and just stare at you....even when you make direct eye contact and not look away. I'll just stare at him and he stares right back until one of us moves. He's a complete and total Freak!! Probably the smartest and most entertaining dog I've ever owned.....better than cable!

Oh, Kelly!! You've got your hands FULL!! LOL!! He sure sounds like an alpha. Don't let him think he's in charge even for a second!

Bravo does some entertaining things. He occasionally stotts like a pronghorn! It's hilarious! I've been trying to catch it with my camera, but no luck yet...but it looks like this:

gazelle-body-language-11.jpg

He loves our cats, and wrestles with any takers....sometimes the cats are in no mood for him - then they line up on their cat-tower and stare down at him...I'm pretty sure they are cursing about him.

He has also learned the difference between a few of his toys - if you tell him to get his ball, he will come back with a ball. If you tell him to get "moppy," he will come back with his Happy Moppy toy. He has also learned "duckie" for his duck with a squeaker. We didn't teach him these things....he just seemed to pick it up on his own. We couldn't believe it at first.......but there is no doubt he knows those labels!

Avec....I knew someone was going to say something about this being alpha behavior. lol If I was a good dog trainer I would do something to curtail it, but I'm not.....it just so damned funny sometimes and at the end of the day, Picasso will never be strutting around the ring or running agility trials and if he thinks he is "King Poo" as I nick named him....there are worse mistakes I've made with dogs! He makes me laugh every day and his reward is lots of love.

Po my other boy "stotts" too....never heard this term before...thanks for the definition. It IS hilarious when they do this! lol

Picasso sounds hilarious! I think I'd just have my satellite turned off b/c he sounds that entertaining! Gizmo is pretty entertaining himself. He loves to talk! He only barks at the garage door opening and the door bell ringing. Other than that, he makes the strangest sounds when he's playing, waking up, or sleepy. Sometimes he will bay, just like a beagle or hound dog. It cracks us up! He will paw at the ground and kick his back legs and then take off in a round of zoomies! He hates it when I talk on the phone too. He'll jump up in my lap (if I'm sitting) and will just stare at me, nose to nose. He'll also bring a toy and just hold it in my face and make his little playful sounds, like he's trying to tempt me with how much fun he is having. He's too smart. He knows what he's not supposed to do, but sometimes I think he does it for attention. He'll grab socks/undies out of hampers and run around like it's a flag or some prize. As soon as I say ANYTHING to him, he drops it and comes running to me like he's so happy I noticed him! What a stinker! It's hard to believe there is that much personality in such little dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyk100rs View Post
    Avec....I knew someone was going to say something about this being alpha behavior. lol If I was a good dog trainer I would do something to curtail it, but I'm not.....it just so damned funny sometimes and at the end of the day, Picasso will never be strutting around the ring or running agility trials and if he thinks he is "King Poo" as I nick named him....there are worse mistakes I've made with dogs! He makes me laugh every day and his reward is lots of love.

Po my other boy "stotts" too....never heard this term before...thanks for the definition. It IS hilarious when they do this! lol
    Goodness! LOL!!! I never criticize! I didn't mean to come across that way if I did, for sure...just observing :-) I figure we can each make decisions about what we want to live with/not live with. Every house is different and if we are happy with our dog....then that is good enough!!

Bravo would definitely be one to try and run our house if he could.......the cats keep him humble!

I love your dogs!

This is off topic but I loooooove Bravo in his Puppia harness, he looks absolutely stunning in it. Nina finally grew into hers as well. I'm loving everyones avatars of their babies. So cute!!!
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Thanks, Ivy!!! I love the Puppia, too - it fits him really well (better than the plaid one I bought him at PetsMart).

It is really fun to see everyone's avatars

Let's see Nina in hers!

Please.....I didn't take your comment as a criticism.....my comment was based on my own experience with larger "uber alpha" dogs that can really cause trouble for their owners and each other when it comes to some of these behaviors. What I love about this breed is that even at their worst.....they are still loveable and relatively harmless. I find myself letting them get away with bad behavior simply because they are so adorable.....even when they are bad dogs!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast