Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does your pap sleep in your bed?

Re: Does your pap sleep in your bed?

The only purpose I ask is that returning when Abby was just under a season old we finished a 6 weeks time behavior system and one day, somehow the subject of pets getting to sleep in your bed came up. The associate instructor was absolutely against pets getting to sleep in your bed, and said it could cause violence in pets because they start to reduce regard for their proprietor.

Cary Personal Trainer
    Last edited by Desmond; 08-26-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Today someone I know posted on FB that they were getting a dog and a mutual friend and dog trainer said "Do not let her in your bed and bedroom, give her boundaries and don't be too soft otherwise she will ruin your life, trust me x".
    Well I have Sprite (papillon) and Diamond (Alaskan Klee Kai) sleeping in my bed with me and they are perfectly well behaved and I have never had issues with either of them. Honestly now I cannot go on vacation without my girls as I am like a child with their favorite bear, I cannot sleep without them hehe!
    Who could resist waking up to papillon kisses?

I totally understand people having their dogs sleeping in crates as it keeps them safe when their owner is not watching them, much the same as I understand having them sleeping in a selected room of the house (my 2 bigger dogs sleep in my kitchen).

I think the whole dominance thing depends on your family and your training.

Sully (5 months old) sleeps with us. I've always made it a point to teach him that our bed is for sleep, not play. Hubby sometimes forgets that. :-) He just recently learned how to jump off the bed though, sometimes he will, other times not.

Puzzle, also almost 5 months always sleeps with us. Sometimes he remembers beds are for sleeping. Most of his craziness is in the mornings. He is better than an alarm clock. He knows when its time to get up. Not great for the weekends.

I have kind of an amusing story about that very topic. When our two Paps were pups, we used to close them in a spare bedroom at night, in their little pen enclosure. They've always liked bedtime, and they were trained to go into the room happy as could be, and we would say good night and close the door. Even when we got rid of the pen, they would go to their room at bedtime like good puppies. It was a beautiful story. Then we decided to get rid of wall-to-wall carpet and put in hardwood floors, so in the midst of things, we were afraid they might get hurt by a stray nail or piece of wood, so we decided to let them stay in our bedroom with us for one night. Well, that was all it took; they NEVER wanted to go back to their old room again. They'd cry and bang on doors and make such a fuss that we knew we'd never get another wink of sleep as long as we lived. Now they share our bed.
    Last edited by BlueCat; 07-18-2013 at 12:38 PM.

My Sophie, she's about 10 1/2 months young, sleeps in my bed every night, she refuses to be any where else, she also is better than an alarm clock, i get 6am kisses EVERY morning, its not so much fun on the weekends, like PAULA said.

Tilly slept in the main lounge room of the house for the first few weeks that we had her, but when her going to the toilet on the floor became a regular and difficult problem to solve, a friend suggested that she should start sleeping on the bed so that in order to go to the toilet at night she would have to wake me up first. It works beautifully. 9 times out of ten she sleeps through the night and goes in the morning when I get up, and there's never been any sort of accident or issue. She is still happy to sleep in her own bed in the lounge as my job requires me to stay overnight at clients houses 1-3 times a week and my parents wouldn't be caught dead with a dog on their bed at night. She knows that being on the bed means sleep time and there's no playing or funny business. It's nice having the company too!

Pupae

Quote Originally Posted by Bclaytonsc View Post
    Do your paps ever sleep in your bed with you? If not, are they crated at night?
    Gizmo's foster mom crated him at night and suggested we do the same.

We're getting Gizmo to sleep in a doggie bed at night and would prefer that, especially since he's not a big cuddler.

Pupae

Lucy was allowed to sleep with me when I was alone in a king size bed or with my.mom most of her life, I don't know about when I moved out. But now with LaShawnna and I sharing a full and afraid of knocking into her or her having an accident at night in the carpet she sleeps in her crate with blankets. But is allowed on the bed for cuddles or to hang out when we are fully awake . She seems to.prefer her pet bed lately any how even though not sleeping on a bed with her humans was an adjustment at first .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123