Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does your pap sleep in your bed?

Re: Does your pap sleep in your bed?

Yep ^ exactly.

Great thread. My last dog, an adopted female poodle/mix, slept with us every night 'between' our pillows. She'd ooch down under the covers when it got cold. No problems - ever.
    Gracie is almost 5 months old now, and she has slept with us since day one! I kept her on a leash to make sure she wouldn't try and jump off the bed, and for the first few weeks, we got up 1 or 2 times a night so she could go potty. Now she sleeps through the night, doesn't try and get up when I do to go potty, and this morning (for the first time) stayed in bed with Dad while I got dressed first before taking her downstairs.

When I first got her, she would growl if I disturbed her in trying to pick her up while she was chewing her bully stick. I would just hold her up in the air away from me until she calmed down every time she did that. She now knows that I am in charge and she is the sweetest little girl with a lot of fire in her. I only wish I could afford agility for her because I know she'd be really good at it. But I did only get her for a companion dog. Will try and do some stuff on my own when Louie moves out in December.

Louie - He's 7 months old now, not neutered. He has had health problems since day one and will be having the tracheal wash probably next week when he is weaned off the prednizone. Louie belongs to my son, but is so attached to his girlfriend because he is a musician and has been on tour for months. My son has only seen Louie twice, the last time about three weeks ago when he came home for 3 days.

So, now Louie has started peeing and pooping on the bed! He's never ever done this before. I told his girlfriend that I think Louie is being possessive of her and 'smells' my son on the blankets and is 'marking his territory.' Starting last night, she is keeping him in a crate at night - no bed privileges. He hasn't been fixed yet because he hasn't been well long enough to even complete his shots. Hopefully this will all get resolved when the tracheal wash is done.

Do you agree this may be Louie marking his territory? I also think he's really upset, because she said once he started to pee right beside her head!
    Do you think this has anything to do with 'not' being neutered?

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Mojo sleeps on the bed. Our dogs have always been allowed bed space. None of them have had any kind of dominance issues, other than Esmeralda, and she is just an alpha personality who actually rarely slept on the bed, preferring her own.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

Smokie sleeps on the bed. Usually on my pillow above my head.

Piper is happy to sleep in her crate and goes to stand in front of it when she is ready for bed.

We allow the dogs to come up on the bed while we read in bed or watch tv for an hour or so before lights out. Then I get up...pee them one more time and they all find their cozy beds on the main level of the house. One night I fell asleep before tucking them in downstairs, I woke up several hours later to find two of the three dogs all snuggled in their beds on the main level. Our old boy ( 12.5 yes old) was sound asleep on the bed....I didn't have the heart to move him.

I do agree with the importance of inviting a dog into your space...especially if your dog tend to be the dominant type. It is definitely something to be aware of. I also find that feeding routines make a big difference in dogs as well. I volunteer at the local animal shelter and a few minutes spent establishing a feeding routine saves a lot of aggression issues.

Our bed is so tiny for me and my BF that we're afraid to let Bijoux sleep on our bed out of fear that she will be squished in the night. So we have a bed for her with her blanket on the nightstand right beside us, where she sleeps thru out the night. She's still close enough to us where she doesn't feel away from us, but she does try to cross into our bedside and when I say BED, she knows her place and runs back to her bed LOL

As a new member, I really value the information on this site....it is why I joined....to learn. I've made all the mistakes one can make when it comes to dogs, training and learning the hard way about pack mentality...as well as how dogs think. Having owned large breed dogs and having up to four at once...I've experienced first hand what it is like to have a "pack"....as well as some expensive trips to the vet! My two boys are are so delightful and easy compared to my Dobermans...yes....4 Dobermans! not saying that Dobermans aren't delightful because they are wonderful and amazing animals and quite dear if you have ever been around them but......they can be a handful especially in a group when being a strong alpha becomes more important to keep everyone happy and healthy.

I let both my boys sleep with me and have paid close attention to the quarrels that come with the territory of the bed. I can't imagine them not being with me at night in bed but I wonder if I'm doing the right thing when on the rare occasion they fight over bed space. Usually it's a short flash and I don't intercede allowing them to establish or re-establish their balance. If it starts to wind up and get a little too serious is when I step in and end it. My thinking is to let them find their own place with each other but occasionally letting them both know who's wearing the pants when push comes to shove. It appears that they both know who's who in our little pack and 95% of the time it works out well. My personal feeling whether this would be considered good practice or not is to be the leader (alpha) when necessary and to be part of the pack instead of the "human" and "the two dogs" so to speak....or at least from their perspective. I have to admit however as far as being a good dog trainer I flunk horribly because I really let them get away with murder sometimes especially because I know better....these Paps are just so damned cute it's really easy to spoil them. What can I say? Is my thinking completely off the mark?

Kelly I agree with you, that as long as things are not getting out of hand, to let your boys figure things out for themselves. While I have just Max right now, most of my life we've had multiples. At one time we had 2 dogs & three cats and we always let them resolve their differences on their own and never had any problems.

And like you, Max gets away with so much that no ever dog of mine did. Yes, cuteness is a factor but, at least for me, so is size. Max is the smallest dog I've ever owned so trouble is never really that "big". For instance, it took a little longer to housebreak him, but my philosophy was "no biggie, small dog, small amount of pee/poop." And it definitely helped that when he would go in the house, he always did it in the bathroom. Small space & easy to clean up.

Gracie's Mom, yes, it sounds to me as if he's marking his territory. I think it's a great idea to have Louie sleeping in a crate. Good luck with the trachea wash. I hope this finally gets Louie to good health!!!!!
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for s****s. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ~Roger Caras

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz

Quote Originally Posted by naql View Post
    Both of my girls sleep in my bed without any problems. I would say it is one of the benefits of owning small dogs. They can sleep with us and you don't have to worry about them pushing you out of the way or taking up too much space.
    Lol! I may have to slightly disagree. My Chihuahua boy would always push me out of the way! I had to lay around him after him was comfy and stretched out! (ok I didnt HAVE to, but he was too comfy to move) When I would try to move him, it was like he couldnt hear me or hed give me a look like 'but mom, dont you see how cute and comfortable I am?' lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast