Thread: Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil

Does anyone add coconut oil to their dog's food? I add some to my dog's food and it really seems to help their skin, hair, and teeth. I do not use the CocoTherapy brand coconut oil, but I do buy the coconut oil from the store.

I also buy a fresh coconut, open it up, and grate the white coconut into thin shavings that I add to their food. My oldest dog just died yesterday, but it did seem to help her during her last days (she had lymphoma).

Unfortunately, this coconut oil was refined in a way that removed the yummy smell, so next time I am going to get a different brand.

Re: Coconut Oil

I used to give Toki 1/4-1/2 tsp of Cocotherapy Coconut oil (any cold expeller pressed extra virgin coconut oil is fine though...a lot of people use Nutiva which you can get from GNC and it is much cheaper than the Cocotherapy) daily. She seemed to do pretty well with it but she also had a pretty good diet so I'm not sure if her soft, shiny coat was from the oil or just a good grain-free kibble or a combination of both.

I liked using the coconut oil but we switched over to adding salmon oil to meals for the anti-inflammatory effects and coat benefits. We still use the coconut oil for brushing teeth though And Toki really loves the Cocotherapy coconut flakes so I still add that to her raw or kibble...I'm not sure how much it helps her healthwise but she loves the taste!

So very sorry for your loss, ZP It is always hard to lose a pet. I still think of my girl, Phoebe, who passed away July 31st.

Quote Originally Posted by tokipoki View Post
    I used to give Toki 1/4-1/2 tsp of Cocotherapy Coconut oil (any cold expeller pressed extra virgin coconut oil is fine though...a lot of people use Nutiva which you can get from GNC and it is much cheaper than the Cocotherapy) daily. She seemed to do pretty well with it but she also had a pretty good diet so I'm not sure if her soft, shiny coat was from the oil or just a good grain-free kibble or a combination of both.

I liked using the coconut oil but we switched over to adding salmon oil to meals for the anti-inflammatory effects and coat benefits. We still use the coconut oil for brushing teeth though And Toki really loves the Cocotherapy coconut flakes so I still add that to her raw or kibble...I'm not sure how much it helps her healthwise but she loves the taste!
    I've thought of adding salmon oil as well. What brand do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's Mom View Post
    So very sorry for your loss, ZP It is always hard to lose a pet. I still think of my girl, Phoebe, who passed away July 31st.
    Thank you for your sympathy.

We use the Grizzly salmon oil ...I add almost an entire pump (we have the 8 oz bottle which I feel like will last FOREVER) to her breakfast mixture and she inhales it!

I debated with alternating days between the salmon oil and coconut oil but figured that the salmon oil will give similar benefits plus help with inflammation and joint health so we just switched over to that. But you can't go wrong with either and they both are beneficial! I still like having the coconut oil on hand to brush teeth with, rub onto itchy spots, and soothing dry skin.

Hmm right coconut oil is very good for the healthy diet. It will use for the different deficiencies it would help we can add it to food and easily use it.......

I use fish oil, as I feel it is a more species appropriate choice for my little carnivore. I prefer to use human grade supplements, as they are much more regulated. He gets one capsule a day, and happily gobbles it up like a treat.

We also use coconut oil for some health remedy, the dogs love it too on their meal. Check out this site for seemed unlimited benefits of coconut oil: http://wakeup-world.com/2012/03/02/1...r-coconut-oil/

Sorry for your loss Zoeypuppy. ((hugs))

I had no idea you could give dogs these things. I'm learning more all the time.....and this isn't my first dog either. Thanks everyone, for posting your info.