Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Did You Find Out About Papillons?

How Did You Find Out About Papillons?

I found out about papillons by looking through a dog breed book. What about ya'll?

Re: How Did You Find Out About Papillons?

That's a really good question!! I cannot, for the life of me, remember how or where I became aware of them. I got my first dog when I was 23 (back in 1990), and I remember that there was no question that I was getting a Papillon.

I remember loving their happy-go-lucky personality....and their perfect little faces.

I remember paying about $300 for him....and my parents thought I was out of my mind, LOL!!! I have never told them the price of another one of my dogs - all but this first little guy - were dogs purchased to be companions AND dogs to compete with...

I remember all those things....but I cannot remember how I came to know the breed.

I can't remember either. I think it might've been through Dogs 101 on Animal Planet or maybe looking at breeds on Wikipedia. I'm pretty sure it was after getting Lizzie that I found out about them.

I met my boyfriend who adopted a beautiful purebred Papillon from an SPCA before we met, the dog ended up bonding with his mother but he always loved the little unique mogwai creatures with big ears.

We met and I have always wanted a dog (preferred big dogs) but of course I took whatever I could get and he was set on getting a Papillon so we found our first one from a breeder (I don't like to call her a backyard breeder because she has always been very supportive to me through the 3 years I've had my dog and she takes very good care of the dogs and puppies she has although she doesn't have titles for her dogs). Our second one I found on Petfinder from a rescue and we drove 500+ miles from NJ to Cincinnati OH, to get him. Our 3rd girl was a foster fail from a local shelter and was a lucky find.

I love all breeds and I was planning on if we got a 3rd dog that it would be a bigger breed (I love Aussies, Border Collies, GSD, Catahoulas) but I just keep going back to the Pap.
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Back in the 80s & 90s I work at Madison Square Garden. In 1990 I got my first pure bred of, a ****er spaniel. Not long after getting her I started going to Westminster at the Garden and this where I first swathe paplllon and where I said "that's my next dog". Lost my ****er in Nov 2003 and Max came home to me Aug 2004.
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for s****s. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ~Roger Caras

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz

I've enjoyed reading about how you all found out about them.

I'm so surprised you found them and liked them looking through a dog breed book. I always look through breed books for the Papillon when I come across them and they always look terrible in those photos (at-least to me).
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

The photo in this particular book was almost breathtaking. It had a picture of a beautiful, tricolor papillon in a lush garden with petunias and pansies with vibrant green grass. The description also praised the breed highly and I immediately liked them.

I remember waaaaay back when, my sister had a papillon that belonged to her daughter that had just passed away (at 27). I 'loved' the dog's 'happy personality and cute small size' so much, I asked her if she would give her to me and she said no, because it belonged to her daughter. Fast forward to late last year, my son and I were going through dog breeds on the internet, wanting to find the 'all around' best dog breed, and we came up with the Papillon. He got a male a few months ago, and I got my female a few weeks ago. They are both precious dogs, however, are so different in body type and personality. I would love to get another one to keep my Gracie happy when my son's dog moves out around the first of the year, but we have four cats and keeping them all happy and healthy is costly enough for us for right now. Perhaps in a year or two. It's funny how most of you have multiple papillons. I've never had more than one dog before, but we have multiple cats! They keep finding us! hahaha

Pupae

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeyPuppy View Post
    What about ya'll?
    I took French in high school, I took a 2 week trip to France in high school with my classmates, I had French and French-Canadian pen pals during high school, I enjoy French cuisine, I wear a Lafont frame and have seen films subtitled in French. I guess you could say I'm a Francophile.

Given that, I'm not surprised I ended up with a breed that originated in France.

Most of the French breeds aren't exactly my type, but Papillons have always appealed to me for a number of reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast