Thread: How to Grow Ear Fringes

How to Grow Ear Fringes

I have read quite a few threads on other forums about this subject and wanted to compile a list of the things you can do to make it look better.

Color has a bit to do with whether or not you will be able to grow fringe. It is extremely hard to grow fringe on a red and white papillon, but it is definitely not impossible. Red fringes are made of soft, fine hair that, when pulled out, is slower than other colors to grow back.

Here is a list of some of the things I've read you can use to mainly help the fringe look better but it some of the vitamins may help it grow better as well.

• Vellus Satin Créme
    • Vellus Shampoo
    • Biotin
    • Vitamin E
    • Vitamin B5
    • Vitamin B6
    • Flax Seed Oil

Talk to your vet before using any of the items listed.
    Last edited by ZoeyPuppy; 10-04-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Re: How to Grow Ear Fringes

Genetics can play a major role in ear fringe as well. Mojo, has a lot of fringe at the base of his ears, but it is very sparse on top. I have seen photos of other dogs in his background with similar fringe, both Tri and Reds. His parents, both Tri-colors, had lots of fringe.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"

I've noticed on my own dogs (not show standard) that their fringe:

The red/white has no actual fringe on the top of her ears (granted she is a giant), she has fringe at the bottom that grew to a certain length and stopped.
    My sable classic tri male has a lot of fringe both black that grows on the tops of his ears and then a tan that grows near the base. His tan hair at the base seems to grow slower (and may be stopping at this point) however the *true fringe* which is mostly his black is continuing to grow.

Genetics play a major role, but proper care of puppy fringe I think is extremely important. Belle had *some* inner ear fringe that she eventually lost. I'm not sure if it was due to her losing her puppy coat or me brushing it through too much.

Papvilion Papillon Forum

MojoPap - Thank you so much for mentioning that! I had forgotten all about the genetics.
    Ivvy - Your papillons are really pretty. I find it interesting how the fringe grows well in some places more than on others on different papillons.

I think products like you listed can *buff* up the fringe to make it have a little more body and better flow. (kind of like how they have body lift shampoo for humans to help give more body to humans with thin flat hair). Lito (the tri male) does have a decent amount of fringe but I do little work on it other than baths (to keep it from getting oily) and brushing to keep mats out.

I'll try out a test with some before and after pics to see if this makes any difference. Although I know it won't grow fringe, it might make the fringe appear to have more body.

Nancy, what are some products you use?
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

I realized what I did wrong with this thread. It originally was about how to grow fringes, but then I decided to have the subject be about how to make it look better. But, I forgot to change the title.
    Izzy - I am interested in what the results will be.
    MojoPap - I didn't know that those products existed. Thank you for mentioning them. I can definitely tell the difference between Mojo's ears. By the way, Mojo is a handsome boy. thank you smilie.png

I actually think the title is helpful. It will come up in search engines easier because it's such a common Pap question.

I'm really interested to try those products as well. That saves a lot of searching around :P. Mojo is a handsome boy <3.
    Papvilion Papillon Forum

Founding Member
    Conformation Papillons

Currently bathing Mojo and Rose in Isle of Dogs #16 White Coat Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo, except for ears.
    Ears are done in Isle of Dogs #20 Royal Jelly shampoo. Also use Chris Christensen's Thick N' Thicker gel when blow drying. Just a drop rubbed into my hands, than just run the fringe between my hands to smooth it on.
    Rose is also on K-9 Show Stopper. A tsp. mixed in with her food keeps her fringes in good shape. Without it, her fringes get very sparse and stringy looking.
    Will add that the show stopper doesn't seem to help Mojo's fringe any, so not for every dog.
    Last edited by MojoPap; 01-01-2016 at 08:55 PM.
    Nancy
    Mojo "AKC - GCH CH / UKC - URO2 UCDX UCH / ICKC - MSCH IC-CHD Betlen Riegel The Magic Touch UD BN CGC RE UCDX" & Jeter "GCH Riegel Betlen Who'll Stop The Reign"